E-M:/ Attn. UP! Water Monitoring May 30 & 31 in Menominee County

http://michigan.sierraclub.org/issues/greatlakes/articles/shakeysentinels.html  Check out our new Project Website!

Announcing:  Friday May 30 & Saturday May 31 Spring Stream Monitoring in Menominee County, Michigan’s Upper Peninsula

What:               Monitoring small first order tributaries to the Shakey River & Menominee River west of Stephenson, Menominee County, Michigan, to collect baseline water quality information, in an area where sulfide mining exploration is occurring for zinc, gold, & other minerals.

When:              Both days:  8:30am until 2:30pm for Stream Monitoring or 12:30pm until 5pm for Bug Picking (or both!)

Where:             Meet at N9710 River Road, Stephenson, MI  (just north of the Sixty Islands in the Menominee River, and just north of where the pavement ends on River Road.)  (Leave off the N if you use Google maps, it confuses it.  Mapquest doesn’t find it at all.  But it’s not that bad, I promise.)

Who:                You!!  Shakey Sentinels, area residents, Wisconsin friends, Sierra Club members, hunters, fishers, all who are concerned about Clean Water in the Menominee River watershed!  (See *Disclaimers below.)

PLEASE RSVP to Rita.jack@sierraclub.org or to 517-484-2372, or to ask any questions.

More Help Needed!

            All are welcome*!  We have 8 sites to monitor, so please bring your friends along!  If you provide a name, address, phone number and email address, I’ll send information and monitoring materials.  Everyone receives free training, a free T-Shirt, and all equipment is provided.  Not everyone needs to be there all day.  Stream monitors need to be there from 8:30am until 2 or 3pm, and we need additional people to come help pick macroinvertebrates (water bugs!) in the afternoon beginning around 12:30pm.  The Bug Picking can take about 3 hours or longer – so an afternoon bug-picking crew that begins around 12:30pm would be needed until 4:30pm.  It would be great if you can help out all day!  Dinner will be provided for those who can help until we’re done.

*Disclaimers:  Note this is not an activity intended for children.  All children under 18 must have a parent or guardian present.  Spring waters can be deep, fast, and cold.  There will likely be black flies and ticks.  Some sites have up to a mile of walking, while carrying stream equipment.  Please call with any questions to Rita Jack at 517-484-2372 or send email to rita.jack@sierraclub.org.

Spring Monitoring Days Agenda (same both days)

8:30am             Coffee & donuts; Introductions; Project orientation & training; Questions from last fall; Site assignments.

9:45am             Quick break

10:00am           Finish up any questions & site-assignments*  (*some teams may be asked to assess 2 sites)

10:30am           Hand out equipment & T-shirts;

                        Head out to do bug collecting and habitat assessments at our stream sites

12:30pm           Begin arriving back to start Bug-picking, and new helpers arrive to just concentrate on Bug Picking

1pm                 Lunch!  Please bring a brown-bag lunch, we will provide snacks for all volunteers.

1:30pm             Back to Bug-picking until done

Again – thank you for your commitment to protect clean water.

~Rita Jack

><><><><><>><><><><>

Rita Jack

Clean Water Program Director

Sierra Club Michigan Chapter

109 E. Grand River Ave.

Lansing, Michigan  48906

tel:  517-484-2372 x12

www.michigan.sierraclub.org

www.sierraclub.org/watersentinels

Know your watershed!

Make all Michigan's waters fishable and swimmable.