E-M:/ corrected press release on rad-waste

The press release that I posted yesterday had an error. It was Rep. John Conyers, (not Rep. John Dingell,) who with Rep. Bart Stupak requested that the proposed underground nuclear dump in Ontario be advanced to a full review panel.  It was my error alone. Here is the corrected press release. -Kay Cumbow

For Immediate Release  - May 19th, 2008
Contact:
Kay Cumbow
Citizens for Alternatives to Chemical Contamination
810-346-4513

Macomb County Officials Oppose Proposed Rad-Waste Dump on Lake Huron

Last week, the Macomb County Water Quality Board and the Macomb County Board of Commissioners, took a strong stand to protect the health of Great Lakes waters, when both bipartisan organizations passed resolutions opposing any underground radioactive waste dump in the Great Lakes Region. Both groups have a major stake in protecting water quality in the Lake Huron - Detroit River water corridor. Millions of people, including many Michigan communities, obtain drinking water from Lake Huron or waters downstream of Lake Huron. Fisheries and tourism are big industry here and depend on healthy waters as well.

These resolutions were spurred by Ontario Power Generation's proposed underground radioactive dump for 20 reactors near Kincardine, Ontario, and adjacent to the Bruce nuclear complex, where 8 reactors are sited, with 4 more proposed. The proposed dump for so-called ?low? and ?intermediate? wastes would take all reactor wastes except irradiated fuel - including filters from irradiated fuel pools and some transuranic wastes, like plutonium.

Many of the wastes need isolation for thousands of centuries. Furthermore, a serious accident 2150 feet underground may not allow for wastes to be contained and repackaged, and wastes may infiltrate into groundwater or Lake Huron. After so many centuries, the site is to be simply abandoned. A serious accident or incident at this site could devastate Lake Huron and have significant ramifications for the whole Great Lakes Region.

Thanks to international citizen groups and elected officials such as U.S. Representatives Bart Stupak and John Conyers and St. Clair County?s Drain Commissioner, Fred Fuller, (all Michigan Democrats), the proposal for the deep underground dump (DUD) must undergo a Full Panel Review by Canadian authorities.

Everyone who cares about long-term water quality of the Great Lakes should read and comment on the Draft Guidelines and Draft Joint Panel Agreement issued by the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency in April. The Draft Guidelines will determine the scope of the panel hearings for example and Canadian authorities have stated that only local communities and fisheries would be affected by this underground dump, where the access and shaft would be less than a mile from Lake Huron.

-MORE ?

The public comment period ends June 18th. Documents for comment can be obtained at www.ceaa-acee.gc.ca/    Scroll to ?Projects Under Review? and click on ?Review Panels.?

The generation of nuclear wastes puts our waters and our gene pool at risk throughout the entire fuel cycle - from uranium mining and processing, which damages human health and affected watersheds forever - to the deadly wastes of reactors that must be kept from the biosphere forever. There exist many far less expensive and safer ways to produce energy and still lower our carbon footprint - for example, using efficiency and conservation, solar and wind power - and other emerging energy technologies, used conscientiously.

Citizens for Alternatives to Chemical Contamination commends officials in Macomb County, who have concerns about the prospect of radioactive wastes stored underground permanently next to the Great Lakes. We urge other communities who depend on these waters to enact similar resolutions and make viable comments on these critical draft documents that may affect our watershed for a very long period of time.

--30--