E-M:/ land preservation/NJ

Enviro-Mich message from "Anna Dorothy Graham" <grahama9@msu.edu>

From the New York Times, 1999. This is what I was talking about, and you can see the results:

"Saying that she wants to leave a legacy of unspoiled landscapes and pristine parks, Gov. Christine Todd Whitman signed a bill today that will dedicate more than $1 billion in state funds to preserve as much as one million acres of open space during the next decade.

Speaking in a county park that overlooks the Black River and the Somerset Hills, the Governor said the Garden State Preservation Trust Act would allow officials to control suburban sprawl and protect the state's farmland, woods and streams.

The act sets aside $98 million a year for the next 10 years and additional money for interest charges on payments for other lands previously bought. It will also establish an advisory board that will approve the purchase of land that might otherwise be used for development."
Cheers,
Anna
Anna Kirkwood Graham, J.D., Ph.D.
"There is no trifling with nature; it is always true, grave and severe; it is always in the right, and the faults and errors fall to our share."
-- Goethe