Re: E-M:/ land preservation/NJ

Enviro-Mich message from "Anna Dorothy Graham" <grahama9@msu.edu>

One last comment on New Jersey's efforts at planning and preservation ...

With all due respect, is the ecological damage done in places like New Jersey in the past a reason for not attempting to address the future?

I would have to argue that Michigan is more closely analogous to New Jersey than it is Oregon, or one of the western states that still had plenty of land left to preserve before it was affected by the massive industrialization and rampant, sloppy development that affects the east and the rust belt. The issue now is recovery, and we could still do it if we committed to something along the New Jersey model. And given the problems that NJ had, I still maintain that they've done a pretty fine job in their own recovery efforts; much better than the deep south, for instance, which seems to be going to hell in a handbasket (as it were).

Which reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw in New Jersey: "Deforestation
is the Pathway to Hell."
Cheers again!
Anna