E-M:/ Shocking Vote on Great Lakes Waters

What is going on?  This vote is a cave-in to corporations hoping to privatize and withdraw waters from the Great Lakes Basin, not a protection.  -- Linda Cree, Michigan's U.P.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dan Farough, Progress Michigan <progress@...>
Date: May 19, 2008 2:54 PM
Subject: Got Water? Keep our Great Lakes from going down the drain

*The time to stand up for Michigan's waters is now*. The State Senate
just
narrowly passed legislation that would allow up to 25% of some of our
precious lakes and rivers to be open for withdrawal! Yes, you heard
me
right, up to 25% of some of our best waterways.

If that wasn't bad enough, the Senate allowed provisions that
undermine
public control over our water. Without strong laws that support
public
control of the Great Lakes, our state is vulnerable to corporations
and
special interests that seek to export and misuse our water.

The State House can fix this, but they need to hear from you, not just
corporate special interests. Take action now -
http://michiganwaternotforsale.com<http://progressmichigan.org/page/m/
579775d28127cbbe/ogrAHm/VEsH/>

*Tell your State Representative to reject the Senate proposal (SB 860)
*.
Instead they should pass tough new laws that protect our Great Lakes
and
inland waters for generations to come by strengthening public
control. Tell
them to reject a special interest driven proposal that would allow up
to 25%
of some of Michigan's water to be open for withdrawal.

Time is of the essence. Please take action now by going to
http://<http://progressmichigan.org/page/m/579775d28127cbbe/ogrAHm/VEs
E/>
michiganwaternotforsale.com<http://progressmichigan.org/page/m/579775d
28127cbbe/ogrAHm/VEsF/>.

Send the message to the State House that Michigan Water is *NOT FOR
SALE*!!!

Sincerely,

Dan Farough

Executive Director,

Progress Michigan
<http://progressmichigan.org/page/m/579775d28127cbbe/zZD3Gk/VEsC/>

(c) 2008 ProgressMichigan.org. All rights reserved.