Re: E-M:/ MUCC Chief Raises Money for Justice Taylor

Rob,  there is one angle you missed on the matter of Dennis Muchmore's
role as MUCC executive while acting in other roles to promote his private interests;  and
that concerns Muchmore's involvement in Liberty Renewable
Fuels, proposed as the largest ethanol plant to be constructed in
the State of Michigan.

Until March 25, 2008, Muchmore was a Vice President for
Liberty Renewable Fuels, although he still remains on their
board.   See:

http://www.secinfo.com/d12TC3.th4w.htm

Liberty Renewable fuels will draw down about 630 million
gallons per year of groundwater in the Ithaca, MI area.

This is apparently under the 2 million gallons per day
threshold for groundwater withdrawal permitting in the
Michigan Senate bill but above what was previously
indicated as a planned threshold in the Michigan House bill
on water planning and Great Lakes watershed management.

So, you see MUCC's Dennis Muchmore doesn't have to
be married to a lobbyist for Nestle to have a conflict of
interest on setting policy and advocacy
relating to groundwater permitting and uses.

He already has a conflicting interest directly
from his board membership on Liberty Renewable Fuels
as a future groundwater user (plant is not yet built) with
his role as an advocate on legislation for MUCC affecting
Great Lakes watershed planning and groundwater withdrawals.

One has to wonder if the Board Members of
MUCC have any shame or sense of responsibility at all
for allowing such a situation to continue.

Muchmore's promotion of Cliff Taylor's re-election when
Taylor was in on the trashing of the Michigan Environmental
Protection Act is also obnoxious.

Note also that Muchmore is "of counsel" with a lobbying firm
in Lansing that is also representing Liberty Renewable Fuels.

Regards,  Alex Sagady

At 08:02 AM 05/24/2008, you wrote:

>A number of people have responded to my post about Dennis Muchmore asking where I got the information on him being a big donor to Justice Taylor.  I received the invitation to a $3,400 a couple fundraiser from Taylor (I am a Republican so figure I must be on their lists) and copied it in my original post. I also copied the invite again at the end of this post along with a bunch of other information that should open some eyes.
>
>I got so many responses about Muchmore that I Googled him with Nestle and voila! answers came forth.  As you can see below Muchmore is not only MUCC director he's a lobbyist whose wife is Nestle's PR person.  What is totally outrageous is that MUCC is an affiliate of  the National Wildlife Federation which sued to prevent destructive mining in Michigan and that suit led to Taylor and his anti-conservationists 'gang of four' to rule against NWF and destroy the Michigan Environmental Protection Act. Is that a conflict for MUCC and Muchmore?
>
>Also, if you google Muchmore you will see he has give $750 to the Farm Credit Council PAC, which promotes those big industrial farms that are polluting our water in Michigan.  He has also given money to Joe Knollenberg, who has the worst record in congress from Michigan on environment votes.  Is that a conflict for MUCC and Muchmore?
>
>So I ask again, why is Dennis Muchmore supporting the anti-environment Clifford Taylor?  Only now thanks to the internet I have the answer: money.  His wife's a PR flack for Nestle making big bucks, MUCC sides with Nestle on water diversions under Muchmore's leadership, Muchmore gives money to Justice Taylor's campaign--the same justice that has ruled in favor of Nestle and against the environment and National Wildlife Federation.
>
>No conflict of interest?  Read below and weep fellow conservationists.  Maybe it's time to start a real Michigan Conservationists group.
>
>It is no secret that MUCC Director Dennis Muchmore's wife (Debra Muchmore) is none other than the famous well paid spokesperson working for the Nestle Ice Mountain Company. MUCC says that is not conflict of interest, but then the Muchmore family is still building wealth supporting the 'free taking' of Michigan "Public Trust" ground waters
><http://www.michiganforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154805&page=2>http://www.michiganforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154805&page=2
>
>Nestle spokeswoman Deb Muchmore said Luttenton's claim was "generally accurate."
>Muchmore said Nestle is trying to develop more pumping sites -- near the White River and other trout streams -- so its Ice Mountain bottling operation doesn't place too much strain on the natural resources at any one site.
>
>But she acknowledged that construction of a second bottled water plant, whether it's built in Evart or Indiana, would enable the company to double production of Ice Mountain spring water.
> [...]

657 Spartan Avenue,  East Lansing, MI  48823
(517) 332-6971; ajs@sagady.com