E-M:/ RE: / Wisconsin ratifies Great Lakes compact

Enviro-Mich message from "Rita Jack" <rita.jack@sierraclub.org>

According to a note in the USGS report I just posted, (the full report
titled "Consumptive Water-Use Coefficients for the Great Lakes Basin and
Climatically Similar Areas" by Kimberly H. Shaffer and Donna L. Runkle, is
available at: http://pubs.usgs.gov/sir/2007/5197) -- see Table 27 on page 45
note #3 -- EPA assessed an ethanol plant proposed in Indiana, and the water
consumptive use coefficient was 75, meaning that 75% of the water withdrawn
wouldn't be returned.  If I remember right, Liberty Renewable Fuels'
proposal was to use 630 million gallons of water per year, or 1.7 million
gallons of water per day.  1.7 million x .75 = 1.275 million gallons of
water gone every day.  ....Alex - please check my math!

Even if we used the Minnesota existing ethanol plant coefficient of 56,
that's still 952,000 gallons gone every day.

There's some really interesting stuff in this report.  It's a tough read,
but reading the fact sheet first helped a lot.

-Rita

Rita Jack
Clean Water Program Director
Sierra Club Michigan Chapter
tel:  517-484-2372 x12

Know your watershed!
Make all Michigan's waters fishable and swimmable.