E-M:/ Today's NYT: 'clean coal' in big trouble

This is an important Earth to Michigan message for a state that is considering building new coal plants:

NYT today on carbon capture and storage:

But only a handful of small projects survive, and the recent cancellations mean that most of this work has come to a halt, raising doubts that the technique can be ready any time in the next few decades. And without it, “we’re not going to have much of a chance for stabilizing the climate,” said John Thompson, who oversees work on the issue for the Clean Air Task Force, an environmental group.

The fear is that utilities, lacking proven chemical techniques for capturing carbon dioxide and proven methods for storing it underground by the billions of tons per year, will build the next generation of coal plants using existing technology. That would ensure that vast amounts of global warming gases would be pumped into the atmosphere for decades.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/30/business/30coal.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin
--

×××××××××××××××
David Holtz

1200 Michigan Ave, Ste A
Lansing, MI 48823
(517) 203-3988
(517) 203-0760 Fax
(313) 300-4454 Cell

4455 Connecticut Ave NW, Ste A300
Washington, DC 20008-2328

This message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the person(s) to whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential,  and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you receive this message in error, please notify me immediately by email,  telephone, or fax, and delete the original message from your records.  Thank you.