E-M:/ EcoFriendly Garden Day at WMEAC in Grand Rapids

Saturday, June 7:   WMEAC’s EcoFriendly Garden Day:

There is still room for YOU!

Learn how to make a rain garden, a rain barrel, and nice, rich compost for your garden!

9 a.m.-3:30 p.m.

1007 Lake Drive SE

Grand Rapids, Michigan 49506

Sponsor: Romence Gardens

Partners:  Izaak Walton League, Dwight Lydell Chapter

And Juliette Cowall, Master Composter

Download flyer for more information, and registration form. Reply to this message to make sure the workshop is not full; you can pay at the door!

http://www.wmeac.org/media/files/news/WMEAC_EcoFriendly_GardenDay_June7_2008.pdf

9-Noon: Rain Garden Workshop ($25 fee)

Registration required: limited to 22 people

WMEAC’s rain garden program introduces you to rain gardens and offers suggestions for creating your own. A colorful slide show will inspire you about the many seasonal beauties and benefits of our local rain gardens. We will answer your questions about plants, soils and care. A tour of WMEAC’s office, green roof and rain garden follows; then we will plant a NEW rain garden next to the building for some hands-on learning. Bring your garden gloves, kneelers, trowels, and cameras! Some favorite rain garden plants will be available for purchase from Romence Gardens.

Noon to 1 p.m.: Break.

Lunch on the town at walk-to eateries, or brown-bag it with WMEAC.

1 pm-2pm:  Introduction to Composting; feed your garden with BLACK GOLD!

(FREE-please pre-register-donations gratefully accepted)

Master Composter Juliette Cowall of Grand Gardens magazine will share her expertise in composting. Learn how to turn your household waste into free black gold to feed your garden.

2:30pm-3:30pm:  Save Your Rain for a Sunny Day; learn how to make your own rain barrel!

(FREE-please pre-register-donations gratefully accepted)

Duane DeVries of the Izaak Walton League will demonstrate how to make your own rain barrels from recycled and inexpensive materials. Learn how to save your rain for a sunny day, save money on your water bill, and protect our water resources in just one hour! A couple of rain barrels may even be available for sale.

(Good will donations gratefully accepted to help support WMEAC and our partners!)

West Michigan Environmental Action Council

1007 Lake Drive SE

Grand Rapids, Michigan 49506

616-451-3051

616-451-3054 fax