To: "enviro-mich" <enviro-mich@great-lakes.net>
Sent: Monday, June 02, 2008 7:47 PM
Subject: MORE-Re: E-M:/ Mushrooms clean up Dioxin

Enviro-Mich message from "Lowell Prag" <lprag@mail.msen.com>

On Sun, June 1, 2008 11:23 pm, Matthew Abel wrote:

... see below ...

Hello Matthew,

I would certainly like to see the science describing into what form the
dioxin is bioremediated.

I have grown my own shitake mushrooms for many years and I don't think I
would implant the shitake spawn into a growing medium tainted with dioxin.

In short, is the bioremediated dioxin changed to an insoluble, non toxic
form?

Otherwise, you may bioremediate the dioxin using the turkey tail and
oyster species that Stamets suggests, but you will be left with acres of
originally non poisonous mushrooms that are now poisonous.

Regards,

Lowell Prag