Re: MORE-Re: E-M:/ Mushrooms clean up Dioxin

If memory serves me correctly, the
biological control technique involves
white-rot fungus (not just any mushroom) and
only certain subtypes of white-rot fungus work.

White rot fungus have an enzyme system that
can tear plant-based lignins apart.  Lignins are
phenolic based materials and the same enzyme
system can apparently tear apart chlorinated
dibenzo dioxin/furan compounds.

At 11:46 PM 06/02/2008, The Henry's wrote:
>Enviro-Mich message from "The Henry's" <gehenry@chartermi.net>
>
>Whatever the case, maybe Dow could have a whole new market selling mushrooms grown on the Tittabawassee River's floodplains.  It would be the 'green' thing to do.  Elemental.
>
>Don't know how that would affect the high concentrations found four feet in depth, though.
>
>Sorry, I couldn't resist.....
>
>Kathy
>
>----- Original Message ----- From: "Lowell Prag" <lprag@mail.msen.com>

657 Spartan Avenue,  East Lansing, MI  48823
(517) 332-6971; ajs@sagady.com