Re: MORE-Re: E-M:/ Mushrooms clean up Dioxin

The article maintains that the mushrooms actually break down dioxins into harmless components. This IS possible. If that is true, it would be an interesting way to treat the soil, and could be very effective, because the "roots" of the mushroom so thoroughly infiltrate the soil.

In some types of bio-remediation, the plants draw the contaminant into themselves and are then harvested. The concentrated contaminant in the plants is then sequestered (hopefully safely), and takes up less room than scraping all the soil into a landfill. Again, the roots of the plants infiltrate and clean the soil in an effective way. Poplars are often used for cleaning up cadmium and mercury because they grow quickly. Often, the plants used are genetically modified to some degree. (Which, of course, begs the question of whether it is better to leave the site contaminated or risk a genetically modified plant loose in the environment - and that is another debate).

In conclusion, the mushroom treatment may be a very effective way to treat the dioxin contamination in this case, and it may be possible to do it without removing the soil. It certainly is worth exploring.

Best,

Christopher reader

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of.  What happens with the mushrooms?  Dow feeds them to their employees for lunch?