Re: MORE-Re: E-M:/ Mushrooms clean up Dioxin

The mushrooms are not edible after use in bioremediation even though the remnants of toxic compounds are significantly reduced after the breakdown. Think of it as "whats left in the mouth and tummy" that hasn't been broken down yet.

Same goes for sunflower plants that leach heavy metals from the ground - the seeds may be pressed for oil to be used in biodiesel, but not for cooking or food.

Ford is using sunflowers to naturally remediate soil near one of their down river properties.

SustainableDetroit.org has created a plan to do the same on all the large swaths of vacant land in Detroit in preparation for redevelopment.

I'm no hippie, but pharmaceutical drugs, nuclear power and scoop-n-dump are not the only or best ways to get something done - each have complications, high expense and long term side effects that natural solutions do not. We just have to bother to look, ask and try. It's already being done successfully by others.

Mike Cohn

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of.  What happens with the mushrooms?  Dow feeds them to their employees for lunch?