E-M:/ Toxins in = Toxins out ... unless

Enviro-Mich message from "Lowell Prag" <lprag@mail.msen.com>

Greetings,

This whole bioremediation discussion is bad nonscience.

Toxins in = Toxins out ... unless what you bioremediated is changed
molecularly to something that is not toxic and thus, what you used as the
bioremediator should also be non toxic.

Otherwise, you are just moving toxins around in the environment.

I am familiar with Paul Stamets who was mentioned in the original post on
mushroom bioremediation, as I have one of his books on the properties of
various edible mushrooms, but I have not read his latest, ?Mycelium
Running: How Mushrooms Can Help Save the World.? which addresses various
types of bioremediation using mushrooms:

http://www.amazon.com/Mycelium-Running-Mushrooms-Help-World/dp/1580085792/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212532123&sr=1-1

In short, I don't think that there are any experts within this forum, on
mushroom bioremediation and to have a slightly informed discussion, those
of us that are interested, should read the book.

Wikipedia also provides some good introductory links to various types of
bioremediation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioremediation

A bit of trivia which is actually quite profound:

Many mushrooms have an extraordinary ability to build one's immune system.

The reason being:

Mushrooms unlike plants, are oxygen breathers and over their millions of
years of evolution, have developed defenses against similar pathogens that
attack us humans.

Thus, by eating mushrooms, one acquires their defenses, as has been
understood by the Chinese for a very, very long time.

For anyone interested in mushrooms, this Fungi Perfecti site provides much
information, in addition to selling mushroom spawn to grow your own
mushrooms:

http://www.fungi.com/

Regards,

Lowell Prag