E-M:/ Sierra Club Endorses Obama for President

Enviro-Mich message from "Jan O'Connell" <jan.oconnell@sierraclub.org>

For Immediate Release
June 20, 2008

Contact:
David Willet, 202-675-6698
Josh Dorner, 202-679-7570 (m)

                 Sierra Club Endorses Obama for President
 Joins United Steelworkers, Senator Brown in Call for Clean Energy Future

Cleveland, OH: With a giant wind turbine representing America's clean
energy future as a backdrop, the Sierra Club and United Steelworkers today
jointly endorsed Barack Obama as the change America needs.

Carl Pope, the Executive Director of the Sierra Club, America's largest
grassroots environmental organization, Leo Gerard,  the leader of America's
largest industrial union, and,Ohio Senator Sherrod Brown highlighted the
stakes in this year's election

"We believe Senator Obama is the change our nation needs - he is the change
we need, the leader who will put America on the path to a clean energy
economy that will create and keep millions of jobs, spur innovation and
opportunity, make us a more secure nation, and  help us solve global
warming," said Pope.

"The Sierra Club and the United Steelworkers are standing together in
support of Barack Obama because we all share the common goal of putting
America back to work by building a clean energy economy," said Leo Gerard,
International President of the United Steelworkers.

"Our endorsement today marks the beginning of a massive mobilization  of
thousands of members around the country for the campaign-on the phone, on
the ground, on the airwaves and online, spreading the message that as
President, Barack Obama will lead America into the clean energy future and
that we support his plan to solve both our economic challenges and the
challenge of global warming at the same time," said Allison Chin, President
of the Sierra Club.

Senator Obama's plan will help heal America's economy and environment:

*  Senator Obama has presented a bold and comprehensive plan for addressing
climate change that relies on what the world's scientists have told us
needs to be done.  His plan includes a "cap and auction" system that would
cut our carbon dioxide emissions 80 percent below 1990 levels by 2050.

*  His plan requires the polluters pay for the global warming pollution
they emit, invests the money generated from the credits polluters would
have to buy into clean energy, green jobs and aid for the lowest-income
Americans affected by higher energy costs.

*  His calls for 25 percent of U.S. electricity to come from renewable
sources by 2025, and for improving energy efficiency in the U.S. 50 percent
by 2030 would create tens of thousands of jobs in growing industries while
at the same time saving the amount Americans would have to spend on energy
bills.

"Barack Obama has said, 'Change is an energy policy that puts a price on
pollution and makes the oil companies invest their record profits in clean,
renewable sources of energy that will create millions of new jobs and leave
our children a safer planet.'  We really could not have said it better
ourselves.  And that is why he is our candidate and we will do everything
in our power to help elect him the next president of the United States,"
said Pope.

A sample of other high points of Senator Obama's environmental platform.

*Opposes destructive oil drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge
and on fragile coasts.
*Opposes the storage of nuclear waste at the Yucca Mountain repository
being built in southern Nevada.
*Promises to restore environmental protections that the Bush administration
rolled back by executive order.
*Calls for tougher pollution regulations on factory farms or concentrated
animal-feeding operations (CAFOs).
*Primary cosponsor of the Lead Poisoning Reduction Act, which aims to
protect children from toxic lead poisoning.
Sierra Club was also an early backer of State Senator Barack Obama in the
Democratic Primary for his run to the U.S. Senate, basing our endorsement
on "his strong record of support for clean air, wetlands protection, and
clean energy."

###

David Willett
National Press Secretary