E-M:/ Earthquake and Dangers of Nuclear Waste Beside Lake

Earthquake reminds us of dangers of storing nuclear waste beside lake
http://www.mlive.com/news/kzgazette/index.ssf?/base/columns-4/1213973424195330.xml&coll=7
Friday, June 20, 2008

BY KEVIN KAMPS

AND ALICE HIRT

Snip: Each of the casks contains 240 to 320 times the long-lasting radioactivity released by the Hiroshima atomic bomb. We must stop Palisades from generating any more of these forever deadly radioactive wastes. We must safeguard and secure what is already piled up on the beach against accidents, attacks, leaks and even natural disasters such as earthquakes.

Snip: ``It's the consequences that might occur from an earthquake that I'm concerned about. The casks can either fall into Lake Michigan or be buried in the loose sand because of liquefaction."

Snip: Epicentered at New Madrid, Mo., the series of quakes in 1811 and 1812 are estimated to have been around 8.0 magnitude. According to the U.S. Geological Survey, the probability for an earthquake of magnitude 6.0 or greater in the New Madrid seismic zone is higher than 90 percent by 2045.

[We submitted this opinion-editorial two months ago. I don't know why the Gazette sat on it for so long. I'm happy they finally ran it today. ---Kevin]

Kevin Kamps
Radioactive Waste Watchdog
Beyond Nuclear
6930 Carroll Avenue, Suite 400