RE: E-M:/ Bush energy policy?

Curl:  Serious doubts?  Are you suggesting that Brazil's achievements (reportedly 70 per cent independent of foreign oil, mostly through ethanol; to a lesser extent, domestic oil production), for example, are illusory?  If we manage to substitute energy alternatives at the rate of two to five per cent per year, we succeed.  -- J. Lang

> Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 10:59:17 -0400
> From: ranecurl@umich.edu
> To: enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
> Subject: Re: E-M:/ Bush energy policy?
>
> Recently both president Bush and senator McCain have mentioned that the
> estimated oil reserves on our outer continental shelf amount to some 21
> *billion* barrels, and they suggest that this can help us in being "energy
> independent" of foreign oil. This vast amount of oil, however, cannot
> provide "energy independence".
>
> The US currently consumes 20 *million* barrels of oil per *day*. Dividing
> 21 billion by 20 million gives 1050 *days* of oil supply - less than 3
> years. I recall the same calculation applied to ANWAR gave some 6 months
> of oil supply.
>
> I find that most of the arguments for more drilling are based on a desire
> to continue, or even increase for the sake of economic growth, our current
> oil consumption, while ignoring the energy precipice not too distant in
> the future. The motivation for this appears to be primarily to keep the
> economic engine of the oil industry and what it supports running at full
> tilt as long as possible.
>
> One analyst recently suggested that the reason for more drilling is to
> give us "breathing room" for the development of alternative energy
> sources, naming wind, solar, nuclear, tidal, geothermal, hydroelectric,
> etc as future replacements for oil. I will only believe that when I see an
> enormous investment by the nation in developing those alternatives,
> starting with a serious analysis of whether it is even possible for them
> to substitute for even our current oil consumption. I have serious doubts
> of that.
>
> --Rane L Curl
>
> On Mon, 23 Jun 2008, Larry D. Noodén wrote:
>
> > NYT OP-ED COLUMNIST
> >
> > Mr. Bush, Lead or Leave
> > By THOMAS L. FRIEDMAN
> > It is hard to find the words to express what a fraudulent,
> > pathetic excuse for an energy policy President Bush's new
> > plan is.
> >
> > Two years ago, President Bush declared that America was ?addicted to oil,?
> > and, by gosh, he was going to do something about it. Well, now he has. Now we
> > have the new Bush energy plan: ?Get more addicted to oil.?
> >
> > <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/22/opinion/22friedman.html?th&emc=th>

Need to know now? Get instant answers with Windows Live Messenger. IM on your terms.