RE: E-M:/ Bush energy policy?

Enviro-Mich message from Rane L Curl <ranecurl@umich.edu>

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008, James Lang wrote:

Curl: Serious doubts? Are you suggesting that Brazil's achievements (reportedly 70 per cent independent of foreign oil, mostly through ethanol; to a lesser extent, domestic oil production), for example, are illusory? If we manage to substitute energy alternatives at the rate of two to five per cent per year, we succeed.

Brazil is a large country with a population about 2/3 of that of the US. However their oil production and consumption is only about 2.2 million barrels per day, about 10% of ours. Their ethanol production in terms of oil equivalent energy is about 10% of their oil production and consumption. So comparing the US and Brazil on a per-capita basis:

US Brazil

Oil consumption 0.068 0.012 bbls per capita per day

The "70 per cent independent of foreign oil" in Brazil is only due to the fact that they only import a small fraction of foreign oil (and only recently - see http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/cabs/Brazil/Oil.html).

If we reduced our per-capita oil consumption by a factor of 5 we would not be in the predicament we are today, and biofuels might play a significant role. They don't, and can't, with our population and current energy demand.

--Rane L Curl