E-M:/ Clean Water Action's statement on Michigan's new water laws

Clean Water Action’s Statement on Michigan’s New Proposed Water Legislation
Cyndi Roper, Michigan Director
June 24, 2008

Clean Water Action stands with its Great Lakes, Great Michigan coalition partners in support of the negotiated water agreement which includes the Great Lakes Compact and improvements to Michigan’s water protection laws, both of which are important to protecting our water and connected natural areas.

But we are deeply disappointed in the Senate Republicans who refused to enhance Michigan’s water security by strengthening the public trust which puts the public interest before that of corporate interests.

Over the past year, Clean Water Action members and volunteers sent more than 28,000 letters, made more than 1,000 phone calls, sent over 5,000 emails, attended town hall meetings in their districts, and drove to Lansing for legislative meetings and committee hearings. Numerous others representing the 60-plus member organizations operating under the Great Lakes, Great Michigan coalition banner joined in these activities calling for increased water security and stronger protections for our cold water streams.

In the end, the Senate Republicans refused to adopt these critical protections. Period. They would not budge. It has become apparent that they are either being manipulated by private water profiteers who are quietly laying claim to the world’s remaining fresh water or they are operating on behalf of these interests. Clean Water Action hopes for the former because the solution to that problem requires continued education and public pressure. If, however, the Senate Republicans have teamed up with the profiteers, our task is daunting but urgent.

Four years ago this week, I convened the initial meeting of what became the Great Lakes, Great Michigan coalition. In the ensuing years, Clean Water Action and our coalition partners have made great strides in protecting Michigan’s waters but our work is not complete. We will knock on more doors in communities throughout the state, make more phone calls, organize more meetings and turn every stone to ensure a secure future for Michigan’s water treasures.

For more information, contact Cyndi Roper at 517.490.1394.

Clean Water Action is a national 501(c)4 organization committed to clean, safe and affordable water. The environmental organization is the state’s largest with more than 235,000 Michigan members served by five offices located in Grand Rapids, East Lansing, Ann Arbor, Royal Oak and Clinton Township.