E-M:/ Arctic may see ice melt before summer's end

 Thanks to Mike Ferner. -Kay C.

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/climate-change/exclusive-no-ice-at-the-north-pole-855406.html

Exclusive - No Ice at the North Pole
Polar scientists reveal dramatic new evidence of climate change

By Steve Connor, Science Editor
Friday, 27 June 2008

Snip: The disappearance of the Arctic sea ice, making it possible to reach the Pole sailing in a boat through open water, would be one of the most dramatic ? and worrying ? examples of the impact of global warming on the planet. Scientists say the ice at 90 degrees north may well have melted away by the summer.

Snip: If it happens, it raises the prospect of the Arctic nations being able to exploit the valuable oil and mineral deposits below these a bed which have until now been impossible to extract because of the thick sea ice above.

Snip: "The issue is that, for the first time that I am aware of, the North Pole is covered with extensive first-year ice ? ice that formed last autumn and winter. I'd say it's even-odds whether the North Pole melts out," said Dr Serreze.