RE: E-M:/ phragmites

Hey.....let's not forget that phragmites is the
plant invasive equivalent of the Norway Rat.

Feeding phragmites plants with seeds  to cattle threatens
carryover into animal wastes and subsequent spreading.

Given the presence of other desirable sensitive vegetation
in wetlands and the problem of animal waste contamination
of surface waters and groundwater recharge areas,  and
given the practical proclivities of phragmites for such locations,
and given further practical agricultural practice, I don't
think that cattle/animal grazing on phragmites stands is a
a viable or likely to be adopted control strategy.

I heard a story on national public radio about some research
on why the european strains of phragmites are so invasive.
Apparently the roots release a strong organic acid that is
toxic to the roots of other species. ......  kind of reminds me of the
strong adverse and toxic releases and worldviews of such outfits as
the federalist society, american legislative exchange council, as
advanced by Michigan Republicans.    Environmental
protection and conservation in Michigan and leadership on these
issues have been damaged by such right wing outfits.  Too
bad MUCC seems to have joined that club.

By the way I think that US 23 between Milan and
Toledo should be renamed "phragmites freeway"

At 10:50 AM 06/27/2008, James Lang wrote:
>That's a heck of a good idea.  Wonder if phragmites has the same characteristics as switchgrass?  Maybe Alex would know.
>-- jl
>
>> From: grahama9@msu.edu
>> To: enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
>> Subject: Re: E-M:/ phragmites
>> Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 10:38:21 -0400

>> Enviro-Mich message from "Anna Dorothy Graham" <grahama9@msu.edu>
>>
>> I wonder if phragmites could be used for biofuel?
>> Anna
>>

>> > Have you noticed those ubiquitous tall reeds with feathery tops in wet places where you used to see cattails? Those are phragmites (frag-MY-teez), an invasive plant from Europe.I had come to think of phragmites as something like the doll 'Chucky' in the movie Child's Play,evil, indestructible, unkillable.The plant grows in thickets that now dominate some Great Lakes shorelines, as well as inland wetlands, lakeshores and ditches, displacing many native plants.In addition to choking off other plants, dense stands of phragmites crowd out birds, mammals and amphibians. The reeds also limit commercial and recreational uses.80 % of the phragmites plant is below the surface. They can reach heights of 15 feet or more. The roots can radiate 60 feet, reach a depth of six feet and expand outward at the rate of six feet per year.These giant weeds spread more rapidly by their roots and broken fragments than by seeds.At a Great Lakes conference earlier this year, I heard government ex
 per
>> ts from the U.S. and Canada explain that phragmites can be eradicated by applying herbicides, followed by cutting or burning and (ideally, when possible) flooding. In Ontario, the herbicide treatment is limited to glyphosate. In Michigan, glyphosate is used in combination with imazapyr.This week, National Public Radio carried a story set in New York's Hudson Valley. In order to save the rare bog turtle, officials are restoring the turtle's habitat. They brought in goats to eat the suffocating thickets of phragmites, an effective way of controlling the nuisance plants. It was reported that cattle will eat phragmites, too. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=91848016While some may consider controlling phragmites less satisfactory than eradicating it, others see an advantage in the low impact of grazing over the use of toxic chemicals.-- Jim Lang
>> > Introducing Live Search cashback . It's search that pays you back!
>> > http://search.live.com/cashback/?&pkw=form=MIJAAF/publ=HMTGL/crea=introsrchcashback
>>

>> Anna Kirkwood Graham, J.D., Ph.D.
>> "There is no trifling with nature; it is always true, grave and severe; it
>> is always in the right, and the faults and errors fall to our share."
>> -- Goethe

>> ENVIRO-MICH: Internet List and Forum for Michigan Environmental
>> and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen Action. Archives at
> [...]

657 Spartan Avenue,  East Lansing, MI  48823
(517) 332-6971; ajs@sagady.com