From: David Holtz <dholtz@cleanwater.org>
To: 'enviro-mich' <enviro-mich@great-lakes.net>
Sent: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 8:19 am
Subject: E-M:/ Water, money & Michigan

Today's Washington Post reports on the bottled water industry, before whom our esteemed Senate Republican leaders,the Farm Bureau and its supplicants lay prostate.  Does anyone find a sick irony in the fact that some of our politicians will move heaven, earth and our trout streams to create more growth in Michigan for a water export business that is an environmental disaster but that these same politicians refuse to pass only the most modest possible incentives to promote a new clean energy economy for our state?   Fortunately, some governments are catching on and as the Post reports the U.S. Conference of Mayors has now made Michigan's new favorite growth industry--bottled water--taboo among its members.  And you thought eight cylinder SUVs were a bad economi c bet.

What's Colorless, Tasteless and...smells like Money?

On its face, the bottled-water trade makes selling snow to Eskimos sound like a reasonable business proposition: Tons of carbon dioxide is emitted into the atmosphere each year to produce and transport a product thousands of miles from Place A to Place B, when an identical product is already available in Place B in a form that is typically much cheaper, rigorously tested and sometimes safer. And afterward, millions of plastic bottles end up in landfills.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/29/AR2008062901872.html?hpid=topnews