E-M:/ Freep:Shut the spigots on selling out state water

Detroit Free Press

Shut the spigots on selling out state water

BY DAVE DEMPSEY • July 1, 2008

Do you think Michigan's lakes, streams and connected groundwater are a resource the public owns, or do you think they should be up for sale to the highest bidder? A bidder who could then market the water anywhere in the world?

Snip:

A citizen initiative to make it clear Michigan's water is not for sale, and is to be enjoyed and used reasonably by in-state residents, industry and government in an ecologically sustainable way, would trump the new and badly flawed Michigan water laws. A watchdog needs to be created, as well, to assure that our water remains a resource in public use and ownership.

Rather than entrust the job of protecting public access to and use of Michigan water to politicians or lobbyists, it's time for citizens to fulfill this mission ourselves. The economic and ecological future of Michigan and the Great Lakes requires this effort.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080701/OPINION02/807010325

Dave Dempsey is so right. The care of our Great Lakes cannot be entrusted to the elected officials in Lansing who have failed time and time again to implement the tough legislative measures to protect our water. It's time for the good people of Michigan to assert themselves as the rightful guardians of these Lakes.

Michelle Hurd Riddick
Lone Tree Council
2421 Kipling
Saginaw, MI 48602