Re: E-M:/ Shut the spigots on selling out state water

Oops, sorry about the double posting with close timing.  The first posting showed up on my computer after I made my post.

Do you think Michigan's lakes, streams and connected groundwater are a resource the public owns, or do you think they should be up for sale to the highest bidder? A bidder who could then market the water anywhere in the world?

A citizen initiative to make it clear Michigan's water is not for sale, and is to be enjoyed and used reasonably by in-state residents, industry and government in an ecologically sustainable way, would trump the new and badly flawed Michigan water laws. A watchdog needs to be created, as well, to assure that our water remains a resource in public use and ownership.

Rather than entrust the job of protecting public access to and use of Michigan water to politicians or lobbyists, it's time for citizens to fulfill this mission ourselves. The economic and ecological future of Michigan and the Great Lakes requires this effort.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080701/OPINION02/807010325/1070/OPINION