Re: E-M:/ More use of Black Locust (Robinia pseudo-acacia) wood (fwd)

Enviro-Mich message from "William Tobler" <williamtobler@critterswoods.org>

Around here, creosote disappeared around 25 years ago.
I think the last treated lumber that I bought from Home Depot was CCA, but not positive.

30 years ago I build a pole barn with Penta treated lumber. The posts (6x6) are doing well, but
the splash board is pretty soft.

My T-posts from 30 years ago are still going strong. Cedar posts last about 15 years. Treated pine about the same.
We live in an area where post holes fill with water as fast as you can dig them.

However, galvanized steel corrosion seems to be driven by exposure to UV.
The side of galvanized parts that face upwards are heavily corroded, whereas the downside is nearly "virgin".
The wire that I have stored in the shade of a tree is uncorroded, while that in the sun is shot.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lowell Prag" <lprag@mail.msen.com>