E-M:/ Protect the Earth Summit

For Immediate Release

“Protect the Earth Summit” Focuses on Metallic Sulfide and Uranium Mining

A “Protect the Earth Summit:  On the Shores of Gichigami” will be held the first weekend in August in Marquette, MI and on the Yellow Dog Plains, near Big Bay, MI.  The event will feature speakers from Minnesota and Michigan, as well as community leaders from Wisconsin and Ontario that have had success in stopping dangerous uranium exploration and metallic sulfide mining projects around the Great Lakes.  The event will culminate with a walk to Eagle Rock on the Yellow Dog Plains and more speakers.

The first Protect the Earth Gatherings began in 1986 in the State of Wisconsin when the US Department of Energy was considering northern Wisconsin as a site for nuclear waste.  The first rally was held at the Mole Lake Reservation in northeastern Wisconsin and helped bring people together to work toward a common goal.  In 1987 the focus of the gatherings changed to Kennecott’s proposal to mine in Rusk County.

According to organizer Teresa Bertossi, “We are proud to carry on Wisconsin’s Protect the Earth tradition.  A major theme of this year’s summit is Communities without Borders. We all share and depend on clean land, air and water for our survival and must work together to protect the health of our ecosystems and communities.  Citizens may lack the monetary and expert resources of a mining corporation but well-organized, united citizens are a proven, effective grassroots tactic with a glorious history.  If we all work together, communities battling sulfide and uranium mining in the Upper Peninsula, Minnesota, and Ontario will follow in Wisconsin’s footsteps, as small communities that took on giant corporations and stopped dangerous mining practices.”

Saturday, August 2:
Workshops:  Northern Michigan University, University Center, Marquette, MI 1-4pm
 Rally, Speakers, Skits and Music:  Presque Isle Band shell, Marquette, MI 5-9pm

Sunday, August 3:
Walk to Eagle Rock, speakers:  Yellow Dog Plains, 10am until late afternoon
Speakers include Susan LaFrenier (Vice-president of the Keweenaw Bay Indian Community, Michigan); Paula Sherman (Co-chief of the Ardoch Algonquin First Nation , Ontario); Dr. Al Gedicks (Author, Filmmaker, Wisconsin mining activist, global mining expert); Laura Furtman (Author of “The Buzzards Have Landed:  The Real Story of the Flambeau Mine” and Flambeau Mine expert); Fred Rydholm (Local historian, author, storyteller and landowner on the Yellow Dog Plains) and more.

The event is sponsored by Yellow Dog Summer, Keepers of the Water and Students Against Sulfide Mining, with funding provided by the Western Mining Action Network and the Indigenous Environmental Network.

For more information on speakers or to schedule an interview, contact Gabriel Caplett at 906/942-7325 or gabriel@northwoodswild.org

The i’m Talkaton. Can 30-days of conversation change the world? Find out now.