E-M:/ Clean Water Action Endorses Barack Obama

Clean Water Action NEWS

For immediate release
July 10, 2008

Contact:

Headline in bold. Strong action verbs. No acronyms.

   Cyndi Roper 517-490-1394
                    David Holtz   313-300-4454

 Clean Water Action Endorses Obama
Environmental Group Cites Strong Record

 WASHINGTON,DC—Senator Barack Obama was endorsed today by Clean Water Action, which cited the presidential candidate’s strong record and deep commitment to the environment.  The group plans to launch on Monday a major field campaign in support of Obama among its 1.2 million members nationally with a major focus on Michigan and seven other presidential battleground states.

 “We have an opportunity now to elect a President who bases his decisions on serving the public good by putting our families and our health ahead of polluting special interests,” said John DeCock, Clean Water Action’s President. “The safety of our drinking water is at risk due to eight years of infrastructure neglect and terrible environmental policy that disregards any rational basis in science, including pollution from the same energy sources that are responsible for global warming.

“John McCain is proud to signal he will stick to the Bush playbook on the political and budget priorities that have left our communities and our health vulnerable.  Our country needs a new direction and Clean Water Action’s choice for President is clear. We feel confident that Barack Obama will provide the necessary leadership to develop and implement solutions that are better for the environment, better for our health, better for our economy and better for our families.”

While serving as a state legislator, Barack Obama took political risks to tackle tough environmental problems like air pollution in Illinois, a heavily industrialized state.  His record includes working to eliminate cancer-causing toxins in drinking water, and supporting more funding to communities for safer, cleaner water.  He also co-sponsored a measure requiring 10 percent electricity generated in the state to come from renewable resources by 2012 and supported another bill tightening energy-efficiency codes in residential and commercial buildings.

DeCock said it’s also important to note that as a U.S. Senator, Obama has stood up to corporate interests, voting to cut tax subsidies to the oil and gas industry.  Obama instead would invest in alternative energy like wind and solar.  Obama also voted to support renewable electricity standards that would get more electricity from energy sources like solar and wind to help reduce global warming pollution from coal and other fossil fuels.

 “Senator Obama is an Illinois neighbor who lives in our sister Great Lakes city of Chicago.  He has a strong track record of protecting the environment, and a Midwest understanding of our needs,” said Cyndi Roper, Clean Water Action’s Michigan Director.  Michigan’s Great Lakes systems and the future of our state’s new energy economy require the right kind of leadership in the White House, a leader like Barack Obama who is strongly committed to protecting our water, air and land.”

 With today’s endorsement, Clean Water Action will lend the influence of its membership and campaign outreach program to electing Barack Obama,   “With 1.2 million members nationally we will focus much of our considerable grassroots efforts on eight battleground states,” said DeCock.  “Those states—Pennsylvania, Michigan, New Hampshire, Colorado, Florida, Minnesota, Virginia and Wisconsin—will be pivotal in this November’s election.”

 Clean Water Action has 235,000 Michigan members, making it the largest grassroots environmental group in the state.

 Clean Water Action waged and won major 2006 campaign efforts in California, Florida, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Wisconsin, Virginia and Texas. Clean Water Action’s canvass outreach staff and volunteers talked to more than 1 million voters at the door about the organization’s endorsed candidates. The effort resulted in turning out more than 500,000 voters in key races across the country as part of Clean Water Action’s trademark Get Out Our Vote program.  From Monday’s 2008 campaign launch to this November the organization plans to reach more than 1 million voters.

 Clean Water Action (www. cleanwateraction.org) has been empowering people for more than 36 years to protect America’s waters, the health of our families and to make democracy work.

###
--

×××××××××××××××
David Holtz

1200 Michigan Ave, Ste A
Lansing, MI 48823
(517) 203-3988
(517) 203-0760 Fax
(313) 300-4454 Cell

1010 Vermont Avenue, NW
Suite 1100
Washington, DC 20005

This message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the person(s) to whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential,  and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you receive this message in error, please notify me immediately by email,  telephone, or fax, and delete the original message from your records.  Thank you.