E-M:/ Will the tribes come together to help?

Is there any word if Frank Ettawageshik, chairman of the Little Traverse Bands of Odawa Indians will follow through with helping to protect the ground waters from Nestle's Great Lakes diversion?  Will the other tribes come together to help?

Last fall, the Grand Traverse Band and four other tribes signed an agreement with the state recognizing their members’ right under an 1836 treaty to hunt and fish on public lands in parts of western and northern Michigan.

“If you’re going to authorize legislation to take away our property right, we have the ability to go into court and ask that the (2007 agreement) be set aside, because the rules have changed,” Rastetter said.

Frank Ettawageshik, chairman of the Little Traverse Bands of Odawa Indians, said he feared the bills would undo some of the protections of fishing resources built into the agreement last year.

Reducing stream flow enough to affect fish “isn’t just an attack on the resources; it’s an attack on our culture,” said Jimmie Mitchell, natural resources director for the Little River Band of Ottawa Indians.

http://turtletalk.wordpress.com/2008/03/25/ap-michigan-tribes-object-to-michigan-water-legislation/