E-M:/ LCV Endorses Barack Obama - New Hope. New Energy.

Title: LCV Endorses Barack Obama:  New Hope.  New Energy.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 21, 2008
Contact: Josh McNeil, (202) 454-4573 or joshua_mcneil@lcv.org

LCV Endorses Barack Obama
New Hope.  New Energy.

Today, the League of Conservation Voters (LCV), which works to turn environmental values into national priorities, endorsed Barack Obama for President of the United States.   At an event in Bloomfield Hills, MI, Gary Peters, Lana Pollack, and Commissioner David Woodward joined LCV representative and Michigan native Kerry Duggan to celebrate the endorsement and Senator Obama’s support for the environment and for America’s clean energy future. Similar events took place in Colorado, Ohio, Montana, New Mexico, and Washington, DC.

“America's brightest opportunities have always grown from our greatest challenges," Senator Obama said.  "Today we face the twin challenges of rising gas prices and global warming, and the American people are ready to face them.  We can harness the potential of new energy and give Americans a choice, not between filling up a gas tank or feeding their families, but between real energy alternatives. I thank the members of the League of Conservation Voters across our nation for their support and know that, together, we will create a better, cleaner, more secure future.”

“Senator Obama’s proven record and his commitment to a clean, renewable energy future make him the best choice for President,” LCV Representative Kerry Duggan said. “At a time when this country must reinvent itself for a new energy future, we can imagine no better steward than Barack Obama. Under his leadership, America will finally achieve the economic growth, environmental protection, and national security that are possible with a new, clean energy economy.”

“We have a real choice here,” said Lana Pollack, LCV board member and longtime Michigan environmental leader.  “Barack Obama has been a committed leader and has consistently been on the side of fair and comprehensive proposals when it comes to global warming, energy and the environment. John McCain, on the other hand, refused to support a vote on the recent energy bill that would have required the electric utility industry to share some of the efficiency reforms that were asked of the auto industry."

For thirty-eight years, LCV’s annual Environmental Scorecard has been the nationally accepted, non-partisan, environmental report card for our leaders. Barack Obama has earned an impressive lifetime 86% score.  His opponent, Senator McCain, has earned only a 24% score.

Solving the related challenges of energy and global warming is LCV’s top priority, and the records of McCain and Obama are very different on these issues. Barack Obama plans to raise fuel efficiency to 52 miles per gallon by 2030, invest $150 billion in clean energy technology, require utilities to produce 25% of energy from renewable sources by 2025, and to implement a cap and trade program that will reduce global warming pollution by 80% and make polluters pay for their emissions.   Senator McCain supports billions of dollars in tax breaks for big oil companies, opposes new fuel efficiency laws, opposes a national renewable electricity standard, and offers only $300 million for the development of clean technologies.

“Barack Obama’s plan for global warming and energy independence is the most substantive, comprehensive plan ever put forward by a nominee for President,” Duggan concluded.

Former Secretaries of Energy Federico Peña and Governor Bill Richardson joined LCV at events in Colorado and New Mexico, respectively.  They concur with LCV’s assessment of the candidates.

“In New Mexico, we refused to wait for George Bush to act on renewable energy,” Governor Richardson said from Santa Fe.  “By investing in renewable energy, we’ve already created good jobs and started to break our dependence on oil. Our country's addiction on oil is a threat to our economy, our national security, and our way of life. Barack Obama will bring the change we so desperately need.”

An election-day poll by Greenberg Quinlan Rosner Research found that in 2006, energy was the most important issue for independent voters.  In  2008, as gas prices skyrocket and time to head off the effects of global warming runs out, recent polling shows energy to the be the single most important issue for the entire electorate.

LCV was among the first national organizations to endorse Obama as he trailed in early polls in the 2004 Democratic primary for U.S. Senate. Since 1996, more than 80% of candidates endorsed by LCV have won.

Obama joins other heroes on Give Green, the non-partisan clearinghouse for environmental donors: http://givegreen.lcv.org <http://givegreen.lcv.org> .

Fact sheets on the voting records of Senator Obama and Senator McCain are available at www.lcv.org/obama <http://www.lcv.org/obama>

###

Paid for by the League of Conservation Voters Action Fund, 202-785-8683, and not authorized by any candidate or candidate’s committee

Checked by AVG.