RE: E-M:/ RE: / U.S. lawyer warns water pact will deplete GreatLakes

I respectfully disagree that my post assumes the immediate impact of a bottled water withdrawal is the issue. I see the broader implications made in these arguments that we are moving down a slippery slope.  The problem with that logic is that the Compact itself has a broad framework, rooted in conservation that also includes exceptions.  All the exceptions were negotiated within that framework – the straddling county/community exceptions, the Chicago Canal exception, the product exception – all of them.  None of them invalidate the primary motivation of the Compact to conserve the waters of the Great Lakes basin, at least not that I can see.

What the 5.7 gallon exception did was grapple with the debate about how to treat water in a bottle for sale, as is.  It was one solution, and while it might not be my preferred solution or the perfect solution, it did accomplish a compromise that brought support for the Compact from industry, in general. It did not call bottled water a product, but it recognized that trade agreements will probably see it as such.  So – if the Compact allows other product exemptions, how can it deny this industry the right to operate?  It couldn’t, but the solution left the door open for the states to regulate this industry as they see fit.  It did not give bottled water a free reign.

As to when, if not now, will the states regulate?  Let me remind you that MI was browbeaten for “taking so long to pass the Compact”.  We took the time to establish major steps toward implementation, and actually DID SOMETHING about this 5.7 gallon exception. We regulated the industry, and if my voice holds any weight in any other state, then I join whatever chorus is out there singing to pressure the rest of the states to do the same.  However, just because they did not do it when the Compact passed in their state does not mean they will not.  In fact, many of the states that passed the Compact will have to revisit how it is implemented.  That would be a good time for them to consider regs, if they have not already done so.

Section 1.3 of the Compact says: “The legislative bodies of the respective parties hereby find and declare…1a: The Waters of the Basin are precious public natural resources shared and held in trust by the States.”  Congress should pass the Compact, as is, and quickly.

Grenetta Thomassey, PhD

Policy Director

Tip of the Mitt Watershed Council

426 Bay St., Petoskey, MI 49770

231-347-1181 ext. 115   231-838-5193 cell

www.watershedcouncil.org