E-M:/ League Women Voter Opposes Coal-Fired Power Plants

Enviro-Mich message from "Anne Woiwode" <Anne.Woiwode@sierraclub.org>

>From the national League of Women Voters, who deliberate carefully at all
levels of their organization before taking a position.

Anne Woiwode, State Director
Sierra Club Michigan Chapter
(517) 484-2372

http://www.lwv.org/AM/Template.cfm?Template=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID
=11812

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact:   Kelly Ceballos August 7, 2008
202-263-1331
www.lwv.org
kceballos@lwv.org

                  LEAGUE OPPOSES COAL-FIRED POWER PLANTS
   Waiting for Congressional Action on Climate Change Would be Too Late,
                                League Says
Washington, DC - The League of Women Voters today called for a moratorium
on new construction of coal-fired electric power plants.
"Global warming is happening now," said national League President Mary G.
Wilson. "If we wait for federal action from our congressional leaders, it
will be too late.  We must take immediate and aggressive action to halt
climate change," she said.  (Click here for a fact sheet on the League's
stand -
http://www.lwv.org/Content/ContentGroups/StudyTaskforces/GlobalClimateChange
/Coal_FactSheet_2008.pdf )
"Burning more coal is too big a risk for too many people," Wilson said.
"Coal is the single largest source of global warming pollution in the U.S.,
with power plants responsible for 33 percent of CO2 emissions.  Because of
this pollution, we already face increasingly severe heat waves and
droughts, intensifying hurricanes and floods, disappearing glaciers and
more wildfires.  If left unchecked, the effects will be catastrophic to us
and our planet," she said.
"We will be active in opposing the building of these plants," said Wilson.
"Coal-fired electric power plants have a very long lifespan and contribute
huge amounts of pollution to the atmosphere.  Building these new plants
would foreclose the possibility of preventing dangerous global warming."
"Today, there is no environmentally sound use of coal," Wilson said.  "Many
hope that CO2 can be captured and stored underground," she observed, "but
this technology has never been demonstrated on a commercial scale."
"Instead of coal, we must look to clean energy alternatives," according to
Wilson.  "California, which has been a leader in energy conservation and
efficiency, has been able to keep per capita energy consumption essentially
constant for three decades while enjoying a growing economy," she noted.
"Wind and solar are also ready to make large contributions to economic
growth," she said.
The League carefully examined many facets of energy policy before taking
its stand (click here for the League's FAQ -
http://www.lwv.org/Content/ContentGroups/StudyTaskforces/GlobalClimateChange
/CoalFAQ_FINAL.pdf ).  "We support strong action in
Congress to stop global climate change, but the planet can't wait," Wilson
concluded.
                                    ***
The League of Women Voters, a nonpartisan political organization,
encourages informed and active participation in government, works to
increase understanding of major public policy issues, and influences public
policy through education and advocacy.  Membership in the League is open to
men and women of all ages.(See attached file:
climate.LWVUSMoratorium.release.final.doc)