E-M:/ dry cargo discharge to Great Lakes

today's federal register.....

[Federal Register: August 22, 2008 (Volume 73, Number 164)]
[Notices]
[Page 49694-49695]
 From the Federal Register Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]
[DOCID:fr22au08-87]

DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY

Coast Guard

[Docket No. USCG-2004-19621]

Dry Cargo Residue Discharges in the Great Lakes

AGENCY: Coast Guard, DHS.

ACTION: Notice of availability and request for comments.

SUMMARY: The Coast Guard announces the availability of the Final
Environmental Impact Statement (FEIS) which provides an assessment of
the potential environmental impacts associated with the proposed
regulation of residue resulting from the shipping of dry cargo on the
Great Lakes. We request your comments on the Final Environmental Impact
Statement (FEIS).

DATES: Comments and related material must reach the Docket Management
Facility on or before September 22, 2008.

ADDRESSES: You may submit comments identified by Coast Guard docket
number USCG-2004-19621 to the Docket Management Facility at the U.S.
Department of Transportation. To avoid duplication, please use only one
of the following methods:
    (1) Online: <A HREF="http://www.regulations.gov";>http://www.regulations.gov</A>.
    (2) Mail: Docket Management Facility (M-30), U.S. Department of
Transportation, West Building Ground Floor, Room W12-140, 1200 New
Jersey Avenue, SE., Washington, DC 20590-0001.
    (3) Hand delivery: Same as mail address above, between 9 a.m. and 5
p.m., Monday through Friday, except Federal holidays. The telephone
number is 202-366-9329.
    (4) Fax: 202-493-2251.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: If you have questions on the Final
Environmental Impact Statement (FEIS), please contact Mr. Greg
Kirkbride, U.S Coast Guard, telephone 202-372-1479 or e-mail
<A HREF="mailto:Gregory.B.Kirkbride@uscg.mil";>Gregory.B.Kirkbride@uscg.mil</A>. If you have questions on viewing or
submitting material to the docket, call Ms. Renee V. Wright, Program
Manager, Docket Operations, telephone 202-366-9826.

Public Participation and Request for Comments

    We encourage you to submit comments and related material on the
Final Environmental Impact Statement (FEIS) for Dry Cargo Residue
Discharges in the Great Lakes. All comments received will be posted,
without change, to <A HREF="http://www.regulations.gov";>http://www.regulations.gov</A> and will include any
personal information you have provided. We have an agreement with the
Department of Transportation to use the Docket Management Facility.
    Submitting comments: If you submit a comment, please include the
docket number for this notice (USCG-2004-19621), and give the reason
for each comment. You may submit your comments and material by
electronic means, mail, fax, or delivery to the Docket Management
Facility at the address under ADDRESSES; but please submit your
comments and material by only one means. We recommend that you include
your name and a mailing address, an e-mail address, or a phone number
in the body of your document so that we can contact you if we have
questions regarding your submission. If you submit them by mail or
delivery, submit them in an unbound format, no larger than 8\1/2\ by 11
inches, suitable for copying and electronic filing. If you submit them
by mail and would like to know that they reached the Facility, please
enclose a stamped, self-addressed postcard or envelope. We will
consider all comments and material received during the comment period.
    Viewing the comments and FEIS: To view the comments and Final
Environmental Impact Statement (FEIS) go to <A HREF="http://www.regulations.gov";>http://www.regulations.gov</A>
at any time. Enter the docket number for this notice (USCG-2004-19621)
in the Search box, and click ``Go >>.'' If you do not have access to
the internet, you may view the docket online by visiting the Docket
Management Facility in Room W12-140 on the ground floor of the
Department of Transportation West Building, 1200 New Jersey Avenue,
SE., Washington, DC 20590, between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through
Friday, except Federal holidays.
    Privacy Act: Anyone can search the electronic form of all comments
received into any of our dockets by the name of the individual
submitting the comment (or signing the comment, if submitted on behalf
of an association, business, labor union, etc.). You may review a
Privacy Act system of records notice regarding our public dockets in
the January 17, 2008 issue of the Federal Register (73 FR 3316).

[[Page 49695]]

Background and Purpose

    The Final Environmental Impact Statement (FEIS) provides an
assessment of the potential environmental impacts associated with the
proposed regulation of residue resulting from the shipping of dry cargo
on the Great Lakes. The preferred alternative would amend Coast Guard
regulations in accordance with an existing policy that allows the
discharge of nontoxic and nonhazardous bulk dry cargo residues in
limited areas in the Great Lakes, with new requirements for
recordkeeping and new designated special areas where discharges would
be prohibited. The USCG has the authority to regulate such discharges
on the Great Lakes under Section 623 of Public Law 108-293.

    Dated: August 15, 2008.
Howard L. Hime,
Acting Director of Commercial Regulations and Standards, United States
Coast Guard.
 [FR Doc. E8-19525 Filed 8-21-08; 8:45 am]

BILLING CODE 4910-15-P

657 Spartan Avenue,  East Lansing, MI  48823
(517) 332-6971; ajs@sagady.com