Top 10 (+4) Reasons to Vote for Nader -- WAS Re: E-M:/ LCV Presents: The Top Ten Reasons to Vote Obama/Biden

Enviro-Mich message from mckennab@umd.umich.edu

See the 14 issues addressed by Nader but marginalized by Obama/Biden:

http://www.votenader.org/issues/

Arguments can be made for voting for anyone (or sitting it out) or doing civil disobedience against the National Security State

For example, a vote for McCain (and his subsequent victory) might send the US so far into authoritarianism, war and economic collapse that a mass movement might finally be galvanized for a social revolution.

See CounterPunch for several good articles today against Obama and Biden.

Best,

Brian McKenna

Quoting "Kerry C. Duggan" <duggankc@gmail.com>:

08/27/08

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Joshua McNeil, (202) 785-8683 or joshua_mcneil@lcv.org

LCV Presents: Top Ten Reasons to Vote for Obama/Biden

DENVER - The League of Conservation Voters has endorsed Senator Barack Obama
for President of the United States because of his record-setting plans for a
clean energy future and his proven record as an environmental champion. As
the party conventions highlight the differences between Senators Obama and
McCain, LCV presents the Top Ten Energy and Enviromental reasons why every
American should vote for Barack Obama and Joe Biden on November 4:

10. Look to the future: Senator Obama offers the most comprehensive energy
plan of any Presidential nominee in history, it will end our dependence on
foreign oil and create as many as 5,000,000 jobs. Senator McCain's plan
continues the Bush Administration's policy of appeasement to Big Oil, does
nothing to reduce our dependence on oil, and isn't as good as Paris
Hilton's.

9. You pollute, you pay: Obama and Biden support plan to make polluters pay
for pollution credits and to clean up toxic waste. McCain wants us to foot
the bill for clean-up and to give polluters billions in tax breaks and
subsidies.

8. Keeping us healthy: Obama and Biden have fought to keep our air and water
clean. McCain has voted against clean water ten times and voted six times to
make it harder for states and the EPA to keep our air clean.

7. Listening to the scientists: The Nobel Prize-winning Intergovernmental
Panel on Climate Change says that America must reduce greenhouse gas
emissions by 80% by 2050 in order to avoid the worst effects of global
warming. Obama's plan will reach that goal. McCain's plan falls far short.

6. The record speaks for itself: Senator Barack Obama earned a lifetime
environmental voting score of 86%. Senator Biden earned an 83%. Senator
John McCain earned a 24% score.

5. Decisions are made by those who show up: In the last two years, John
McCain missed EVERY SINGLE major vote on energy. One vital 2007 bill, to
move billions of dollars in tax credits from the oil industry to wind, solar
and other clean energy sources, failed by one vote: John McCain's. Obama
and Biden, also running for President, voted for it.

4. Saving money at the pump: Obama proposes to double the fuel efficiency of
our cars in 18 years, reducing our oil consumption by at least 35% or 10
millions barrels per day. McCain voted against increasing fuel efficiency
in 2003 and 2005. He missed the 2007 vote. Presumably, he ran out of gas.

3. We're not alone: For more than 20 years, Joe Biden has been at the
forefront of the fight against global warming. In 1986, he offered the
first Senate bill to fight global warming pollution. Since then, he has been
the Senate's strongest voice for making America the international leader in
reducing global warming pollution and exporting clean technology.

2. Higher standards: To create millions of new jobs, we must boost
production of renewable electricity. Obama plans create 25% of our
electricity from clean energy by 2025. McCain opposes any national
renewable energy standard.

1. Judge him by his friends: Senator McCain accepted more than $2 million
from the oil and gas industry, more than half of that since he changed his
position on offshore drilling last month. His forthcoming plan to open
America's playgrounds and sandboxes to drilling is expected to net another
$1.2 million.

*# # #* *Paid for by the League of Conservation Voters Action Fund, 202-785-8683, and not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee.*

Kerry C. Duggan
Campaigns Project Manager
League of Conservation Voters
Direct: (202) 454-4592
Mobile/text: (734) 846-0093
www.lcv.org
Turning Environmental Values into National Priorities

=============================================================ENVIRO-MICH: Internet List and Forum for Michigan Environmental and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen Action. Archives at http://www.great-lakes.net/lists/enviro-mich/