Re: E-M:/ Vote 2008

What is going on here?  For the several years that I have subscribed to this listserv, the tone of discourse has always maintained a reasonably civil tone, even when people disagreed passionately.  What I don't remember seeing are hostile ad hominem remarks, such as the one below, or the earlier one today, calling someone "a frustrated middle-aged single man with no children who perhaps lives in his mother's basement."

I'm going to hazard a guess that most E-M subscribers are in agreement with me that this sort of tone and language is offensively out of bounds and offers no productive contribution to the discussion.  I would also guess that it contradicts the official rules of the listserv.

Steve Gutterman