E-M:/ voting environment

Enviro-Mich message from "Anna Kirkwood Graham" <grahama9@msu.edu>

What seems to have been lost in the fiery rhetoric on voting lately is that the League of Conservation Voters, a mainstream, non-partisan environmental action group, endorsed Senator Barack Obama over Nader or McCain. Not only is it the legitimate function of LCV to promote candidates who support conservation, but we have all often solicited their expertise and opinion on this list. And all of the other mainstream environmental organizations that participate on this list should be entirely free to endorse the candidates that they think will most benefit the environment; they are all technically non-partisan, and would no doubt endorse someone like Ralph Nader if they believed that he had a genuine chance of being anything other than a spoiler in the election, or if his positions were demonstrably better on the environment than Obama's.
I think that environmental organizations need to be free to advise and endorse on this list without fear of flaming or misunderstanding.
Anna
Anna Kirkwood Graham, J.D., Ph.D.
"There is no trifling with nature; it is always true, grave and severe; it is always in the right, and the faults and errors fall to our share."
-- Goethe