From: Felix Kramer <fkramer@calcars.org>
Date: Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 2:03 PM
Subject: [calcars-news] GM Says "No Race" But One-Ups Toyota with Large '09 Volt Test Fleet
To: "calcars-news-yahoogroups.com" <calcars-news@yahoogroups.com>

Here we go for another round of repositioning.
GM's Bob Lutz is correct in emphasizing the
difference between a series Volt and a Toyota
parallel PHEV. But even with distinct
architectures, it's possible to compare the
amount of gasoline displaced by electricity for
different drive cycles -- that's the point.

The big news in this story is that GM's
confidence level in he Volt is so high that it
can now plan a "large test fleet" in 2009 -- just
what we've been hoping for! And incidentally, it
challenges Toyota's President's announcement
today that it would push its small test fleet from 2010 to 2009.

Below this report we include additional
developments about Toyota of Palo Alto's motivations.

And we end with more from the Democratic Convention.

GM says no hybrid race with Toyota
The Associated Press August 28, 2008
http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/08/28/business/NA-US-GM-Toyota-Hybrids.php

JOLIET, Illinois: General Motors' top product
executive says the race between GM and Toyota to
produce a rechargeable car is meaningless because
the companies' vehicles are so different.

GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz says Toyota's plug-in
hybrid has a much shorter electric range than the
Chevrolet Volt and must use a gasoline engine to go any farther.

Toyota's president pledged on Thursday to bring
his company's plug-in hybrid to market in 2009,
while the Volt is due in showrooms in late 2010.

But Lutz says he expects Toyota's plug-in will be
debut in controlled fleets and not in large
numbers. He says GM will have production versions
of the Volt working in a large test fleet in late 2009.

Lutz was speaking at an event in Illinois where
GM showed reporters its 2009 model lineup.

OTHER NEWS: PALO ALTO TOYOTA DEALER: see further
reports with new information on Magnussen's
Toyota's decision to start taking customer
deposits at Edmunds Green Car Advisor
http://blogs.edmunds.com/greencaradvisor/2008/08/in-a-first-toyota-dealership-is-now-taking-deposits-for-plug-in-priuses.html
and at Green Car Congress
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2008/08/california-toyo.html?cid=128173104#comment-128173104
.

HYBRIDCARS.COM TURNS A PHRASE: Here's part of
Brad Berman's writeup at HybridCars.com,
"Democrats Put Plug-in Hybrids on Main Stage:"

The unofficial theme of the second night of the
2008 Democratic National Convention in Denver was
the building of a green economy. In speech after
speech, the Democrats pointed to Senator Barack
Obama's plan to put 1 million plug-in hybrid
electric vehicles on American roads by 2015—and
to rebuild the American auto industry in the
process—as the cornerstone of his plan for energy independence.

CAPTION: Former Virginia Governor Mark Warner:
"With the right policies, within 24 months, we'll
be building 100 mile-per-gallon plug-in hybrid
vehicles right here, with American technology and with American workers."

The article ends with a new description of PHEVs' position:

While the ability for Obama, if elected, to
deliver on his energy-related campaign promises
remains to be seen, Tuesday night's presentations
helped establish the "plug-in hybrid" as a
mainstream American household term­perhaps as a
synonym for "100-mpg vehicle." --
http://www.hybridcars.com/incentives-laws/democrats-put-plug-hybrids-main-stage-24908.html

CONVENTION TOWN HALL ON THE ECONONY: The August
26, 2008 session focused on Energy Independence.
You can watch all 13 minutes
at
http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=QWh_m1H8X84&feature=user
. It was moderated by Michigan Gov. Jennifer
Granholm and included Aimee Christensen of
Christen Global Strategies
http://www.christensenglobal.com/ which offers
high-level strategic consulting. Christensen was
instrumental at Google.org in incubating what
became the RechargeIT initiative for plug-in
cars. Here are two segments on plug-in hybrids.
(Thanks to webmaster Michael Bender for the transcription.)

Governor Jennifer Granholm { 5:48 } : We're going
to go to a second question, from KC Christian of Atlanta, Georgia. KC...

KC Christian: My name's KC Christian. I am a
single mother in Atlanta, Georgia, from
Washington, DC and I'm concerned about the gas
prices! They are killing my budget. I have a
4-cylinder car and I'm paying almost fifty
dollars to fill up my tank, and it's just ridiculous.

Granholm: This... is everybody's
problem. Aimee? You're such a great thinker and
strategist, and advisor -- what do we do about this gasoline price problem?

Christensen { 6:27 }: Well, it's absolutely
unacceptable that in a country of innovators and
entrepreneurs that we've been basically relying
on one fuel source and one engine type for almost
a century, and this is because of failed policies
and a lack of leadership in Washington. And what
Senator Barack Obama is going to bring is a
comprehensive energy strategy that will meet KC's
challenges in the near term with a $1000 tax
rebate to every family in this country to help
pay their energy bills; he's going to crack down
on energy traders -- speculation is driving
prices higher, and he's also going to double fuel
efficiency for our auto fleet within ten years,
and in seven year he's going to have one million
plug-in hybrids on the road. These are cars that
get 150 miles per gallon and they're ready
now. And even better, he's going to partner with
American automakers and American parts
manufacturers to make those cars here in
America. He has a four billion dollar tax
incentive and loan guarantee program to retool
our American manufacturing, our automakers and our part manufacturers.

So together, he has both a near-term plan and a
long-term plan to help solve our energy crisis
and this is not just a crisis, but it's the
greatest opportunity we have. We have the
technologies here at home and he's going to help us bring them to market.

Granholm { 8:53 } : And in fact, Aimee, and if I
can use Michigan as an example, we are, in
Michigan, creating a biofuel plant called
Mascoma, which is from wood waste to create fuel
for your car -- cleaner burning, create 700 jobs,
it's here at home and get this: it's going to be
half the price of gasoline. Now that is a win-win -- let's grow it at home.

Christensen: Absolutely. Plugin flex-fuel hybrids -- it's the way to go.

Jennifer Granholm { 9:19 } : Amen.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Felix Kramer fkramer@calcars.org
Founder California Cars Initiative