E-M:/ Clean Water Action: Palin Fails On Environment

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Friday, August 29, 2008

More Information:
David Phelps 435-819-0143 (cell)
David Holtz 313-300-4454 (cell)

Statement from John DeCock
President & CEO
Clean Water Action

 Alaska Governor Sarah Palin’s Selection As
Republican Party Vice Presidential Nominee

“On behalf of Clean Water Action and our 1.2 million members across the country, I express our strong disappointment and deep concern at the selection of Governor Sarah Palin by Senator John McCain to join the Republican presidential ticket.

 “On his first important decision demonstrating what kind of president he’d be, John McCain scores a failing grade.

“With his selection of Sarah Palin, John McCain is telling millions of Americans who care about the high cost of oil, finding appropriate solutions to stop global warming and an end to lining the pockets of Big Oil to expect more of the same Bush approach in a McCain administration.  This ticket means we can expect four more years of neglect, disinterest and kowtowing to Big Oil.

 “No-one should be fooled.  On environmental issues, Sarah Palin is no friend.  As governor of Alaska, she has made it a priority to open up the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, turning it over to Big Oil.

“If elected, Sarah Palin would follow the Republican platform playbook, promoting a risky agenda of drilling in wilderness and sensitive off-shore areas, no matter the consequences.  She is also on record as supporting efforts to deny the effects of global warming, despite overwhelming scientific evidence to the contrary.

“Clean Water Action believes this Republican presidential ticket has now turned its back on millions of Americans across this country who care deeply about the quality of their water and the air they breathe, the neglect of our environment and the long-term health consequences for our families and children.

“The American voter must judge John McCain and Sarah Palin on deeds as well as words.  Their record on environmental and conservation issues utterly fails in earning our support.  Our children simply cannot afford four more years of the same failed policies and continued support for Big Oil.”

Clean Water Action (www. cleanwateraction.org) has been empowering people for more than 36 years to take action to protect America’s waters, the health of our families and to make democracy work.

-- ##

×××××××××××××××
David Holtz
National Communications Director
Clean Water Action
www.cleanwateraction.org

1010 Vermont Avenue, NW
Suite 1100
Washington, DC 20005
202-895-0420 ext. 181
313-300-4454 (cell)

This message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the person(s) to whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential,  and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you receive this message in error, please notify me immediately by email,  telephone, or fax, and delete the original message from your records.  Thank you.