E-M:/ HomeGrown Festival - Ann Arbor

From: "Erica Kempter" <ekempter@gmail.com>
To: "nature and nurture" <erica@natureandnurture.org>
Subject: please promote the HomeGrown Festival!

Hi,
NAP Volunteer Coordinator Jason Frenzel (who is on our Steering Committee) gave me your contact information.  Please publicize this event by posting the email below to your list serve.

Promoting locally and sustainably grown food helps preserve farm land, protect water quality, and improve our community both socially and economically!

Sincerely,

Erica Kempter
HomeGrown Festival coordinator

Come Celebrate Our Local Food & Community!

HomeGrown Festival
Saturday, September 13th 11am - 4 pm
Community High School Field, Kerrytown, Ann Arbor!

Savory Local Food prepared by local chefs!
Heirloom Tomato Tasting!
Cooking Demos!
Silent Auction!
Live Entertainment!
Kids' Activities!

Bring your Appetite! It's HomeGrown Festival Time!
New Ann Arbor event celebrates local food and community

On Saturday, September 13, visitors to Ann Arbor's first annual HomeGrown Festival will enjoy the sights, smells and flavors of fresh cuisine prepared by local chefs from locally grown food. They'll also have a chance to learn how buying locally-grown and sustainable products can contribute to a stronger community and healthier global environment. The Festival will run from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Community High School field across from the Farmers' Market in Ann Arbor's Kerrytown district.

Described as a "celebration of our local food and community," the Festival will showcase local food growers, chefs, and businesses along with food and fun for the whole family.  Admission to the event is free, with tickets available for purchase on site for the various food tastings. In addition to fresh cuisine prepared by talented local chefs, the festival will offer local food cooking demonstrations where chefs and farmers will teach about the food that they prepare and produce - ranging from butternut squash and peaches to grass-fed buffalo. Special children's activities and various food related mini-workshops will include lessons on growing vegetables, and there will be live entertainment throughout the day.

 "It's a chance for everyone to learn just how much great food is grown right here in our area, and discover how they can make a difference by supporting local food producers." says Erica Kempter, who chairs the HomeGrown Festival steering committee. "We hope everyone will gain a new appreciation for the health, economic and environmental benefits of buying local."

Plum Market of Ann Arbor is the principal sponsor of this year's HomeGrown Festival, with substantial backing by Bello Vino Market, Blue Care Network of Michigan, Crazy Wisdom Bookstore & Tea Room, Goetzcraft Printers Inc., and Natural Awakenings. The Sierra Club of Huron Valley and the Ann Arbor Downtown Development Authority are also actively supporting the event. Other sponsors include Ann Arbor Branch of the Woman's National Farm & Garden Association, Arbor Brewing Company, Eat Local Eat Natural, The People's Food Cooperative, Jackie Wright, Realtor with The Charles Reinhart Company, and Zingerman's Community of Businesses.  Also sponsoring the event: Al Dente Pasta, Downtown Home and Garden, Brines Farm, Erica's Natural Gardening and FSEP (Food System Economic Partnership).

The Ecology Center, Food System Economic Partnership, Nature & Nurture LLC, People's Food Coop, Slow Food Huron Valley (SFHV) and Think Local First (TLF) have provided in-kind support.

Alex J. Sagady & Associates        http://www.sagady.com

Prospectus at:  http://www.sagady.com/sagady.pdf

657 Spartan Avenue,  East Lansing, MI  48823
(517) 332-6971; ajs@sagady.com