E-M:/ Union Of Concerned Scientists-request for American Stories about Global Warming

Body:

Thoreau's Legacy:
American Stories about Global Warming
The American outdoors has been central to some of this country's greatest books, from Henry David Thoreau's "The Maine Woods" to Mark Twain's "Life on the Mississippi". Writers like Ralph Waldo Emerson, John Muir, Rachel Carson, Peter Matthiessen, and E.O. Wilson have inspired us to make positive changes in our lives with their wisdom and words about our lands, geographical riches, and wildlife.

Now it's time for new voices to inspire us
to fight the dangers of global warming.

Your voices.

Public Invited to Submit Essays, Photos for Online Global Warming Book

Penguin Classics Joins the Union of Concerned Scientists in Call for a New Generation of Environmental Writers

P enguin Classics has partnered with the Union of Concerned Scientists to carry the legacy of classic environmental writers Emerson and Thoreau into the 21st century.
The literary publisher and science group are inviting aspiring writers and photographers to submit their personal stories and images about global warming for a new online book,
Thoreau's Legacy: American Stories about
Global Warming, to be published by the
Union of Concerned Scientists in 2009.

"From Henry David Thoreau to Rachel Carson, writers have played a profound role in drawing attention to our natural environment and inspiring people to protect it," said Elda Rotor, executive editor of Penguin Classics, publisher of some of the greatest environmental works ever written. "We believe the readers of our classic literature are concerned about global warming and will be interested in sharing their voices, photos and inspiration for this project.
"

To participate, contributors must write a 200- to 500-word first-person account of global warming that relates to their life or the world around them: a special place that they want to protect; people, animals or activities they love that are threatened by a warmer climate; or the steps they are taking to stem the tide of global warming. Or, they can send a photo related to these topics. The best submissions will be included in the online book and in a limited-edition hardcover version. The submission period closes November 15, 2008.

"The writings of a new generation can inspire Americans to take on the challenge of global warming and save our natural—and national—heritage," said Kevin Knobloch, president of the Union of Concerned Scientists.
"What better way to get the word out about this book project than through a global publisher of classic literature?"

Booksellers across the country are displaying easels and free bookmarks publicizing the project. The project will be supported by a major print and online publicity campaign, as well as a 25-city radio satellite tour, and national an d trade advertising.

Contributors can submit their essays or photographs at www. ucsusa. org/americanstories.