E-M:/ RE: / EPA Dow Documents

Just the opposite? I agree entirely with what you just wrote. So far as I can tell Gade (and the other Region V people) were trying to do the right thing and some DC officials (Susan Bodine) were interfering.

Sorry if I’m not being clear – I’m not an expert, I was just reading through the documents trying to understand – without as much knowledge of what happened in meetings as people in Michigan.

From: michdave@aol.com [mailto:michdave@aol.com]
Sent: Friday, September 05, 2008 5:21 PM
To: Brad Johnson; enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
Subject: Re: / EPA Dow Documents

Sorry Brad but it was just the opposite. Dow had no business running to EPA HQ's. MDEQ was given authority by Region V to execute Dow's RCRA corrective action license. Region V has always had oversight of the license and worked very closely with MDEQ and Dow to move this issue forward. When Dow started bogging things down at the state level  with regard to removing the dioxin  hot spots, Region V stepped in and used their broad authority under CERCLA to get them removed. When Dow realized Gade was serious they went running to the EPA HQ's over the head the Region--  Dow has a long history of seeking recourse in the political arena. Shortly after the first set of CERCLA orders came down-- Dow asked for a meeting with Stephen Johnson--

Michelle Hurd Riddick
Lone Tree Council

I've started reading through – John Taylor has a starring role. There was definitely weirdness going on, Gade and Bharat hiding their work from the DC office, which was setting up meetings with Dow without their knowledge. Lots of mistrust…