Re: E-M:/ U.S. House Passes Act to Clean Up Toxic Pollution in GreatLakes

To respond to a question: there were no amendments to the Legacy Act. Here's a link to see how Congressional members voted on the bill:

Jordan

Jordan Lubetkin
Senior Regional Communications Manager
National Wildlife Federation - Great Lakes Office
213 West Liberty, Suite 200 | Ann Arbor, MI 48104

Phone: 734-887-7109 | Fax: 734-887-7199 | Cell: 734-904-1589

NWF's mission is to inspire Americans to protect wildlife for our children's future. www.nwf.org/news/

Working to restore the Great Lakes by offering solutions to sewage contamination, invasive species and other threats. www.healthylakes.org

>>> "Jordan Lubetkin" <lubetkin@nwf.org> 9/18/2008 10:05 PM >>>
Enviro-Mich message from "Jordan Lubetkin" <lubetkin@nwf.org>

U.S. House Passes Act to Clean Up Toxic Pollution in Great Lakes

ANN ARBOR, MICH. (September 18, 2008) – The Healing Our Waters-Great
Lakes Coalition today applauded the U.S. House of Representatives for
passing the Great Lakes Legacy Act of 2008, a bill to clean up toxic
pollution around the largest source of surface fresh water in the United
States.

“We applaud the U.S. House of Representatives – especially Reps. James
Oberstar and Vern Ehlers – for passing this important and successful
clean-up program,” said Jeff Skelding, national campaign director for
the Healing Our Waters-Great Lakes Coalition. “Cleaning up toxic
pollution is essential to our public health, economy and way of life.
We need the Senate to take quick action like they did with the Compact
and reauthorize this critical program.”

Introduced by Representatives Vernon Ehlers (R-Mich.) and James Oberstar
(D-Minn.), the Great Lakes Legacy Act of 2008 (H.R. 6460) passed by a
vote of 371-20.

Passage of the act comes days after the U.S. EPA lobbied against passage
of the act in a letter submitted to Senate Environment and Public Works
Committee Chairwoman Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.) and House Transportation
and Infrastructure Chairman James Oberstar.

The Legacy Act of 2008 is a top priority for the Healing Our
Waters-Great Lakes Coalition. It is also an essential component of the
comprehensive effort needed to restore the Great Lakes.

The Great Lakes Legacy Act of 2008 funds the clean-up of contaminated
sediments in Great Lakes harbors and tributaries. Designated “Areas of
Concern” by the U.S. and Canadian governments, the polluted sites pose
threats to human health and to fish and wildlife populations.

Of the 31 sites in the United States or shared with Canada, only one
site – Oswego River – has been de-listed since 1987. (A list of U.S.
Areas of Concern in Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, New York,
Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin is below.)

“We need to speed up cleanups,” said Cameron Davis, president of the
Alliance for the Great Lakes, a coalition member who testified in May
about the need for Legacy Act changes. “We have solutions. It is time to
use them. Fast congressional passage of the legislation will help ensure
that we’re leaving the Great Lakes better for the next generation, not
passing on legacy of pollution.”
The Great Lakes Legacy Act of 2008 reauthorizes the Great Lakes Legacy
Act for five years and increases the authorization of funds from $54
million to $150 million per year. Experts using EPA estimates peg the
total cost of cleaning up the sites at between $1.5 billion and $4.5
billion.

According to the Brookings Institution, cleaning up toxic pollution in
the U.S. Areas of Concern will increase coastal property value by at
least $12 billion to $19 billion.

“Cleaning up toxic pollution is good for our economy, good for our
public health and good for our environment,” said Emily Green, director
of Sierra Club's Great Lakes Program, a coalition member active in the
effort to clean up toxic pollution. “We applaud the House’s action and
will work to ensure that Congress adequately funds this important clean
up program so that we can put an end to the serious threats that toxic
pollution poses to people and wildlife in the Great Lakes region.”

The Healing Our Waters-Great Lakes Coalition consists of more than 100
zoos, aquariums, museums, and hunting, fishing, and environmental
organizations representing millions of people, whose common goal is to
restore and protect the Great Lakes.

For more information: http://www.healthylakes.org/

For Immediate Release:
September 18, 2008

Contact:
Jeff Skelding, Healing Our Waters-Great Lakes Coalition, (202) 797-6893,
jskelding@nwf.org
Chad Lord, Healing Our Waters-Great Lakes Coalition, (202) 454-3385,
clord@npca.org
Cameron Davis, Alliance for the Great Lakes, (312) 939-0838 x 222
CDavis@greatlakes.org
Emily Green, Sierra Club, (608) 257-4994, emily.green@sierJordan Lubetkin, Healing Our Waters-Great Lakes Coalition, (734)
887-7109 lubetkin@nwf.org

United States Areas of Concern include:

ILLINOIS
Waukegan Harbor, Illinois

INDIANA
Grand Calumet River, Indiana

MICHIGAN
Clinton River, Michigan
Deer Lake, Michigan
Detroit River, Michigan
Kalamazoo River, Michigan
Manistique River, Michigan
Muskegon Lake, Michigan
River Raisin, Michigan
Rouge River, Michigan
Saginaw River and Bay, Michigan
St. Clair River, Michigan
St. Marys River, Michigan
Torch Lake, Michigan
White Lake, Michigan

NEW YORK
Buffalo River, New York
EighteenMile Creek, New York
Niagara River, New York
Oswego River/Harbor, New York
Rochester Embayment, New York
St. Lawrence River at Massena, New York

OHIO
Ashtabula River, Ohio
Black River, Ohio
Cuyahoga River, Ohio
Maumee River, Ohio

PENNSYLVANIA
Presque Isle Bay, Pennsylvania

MINNESOTA/WISONSIN
St. Louis River and Bay, Minnesota and Wisconsin

WISCONSIN
Lower Green Bay and Fox River, Wisconsin
Menominee River, Wisconsin
Milwaukee Estuary, Wisconsin
Sheboygan River, Wisconsin

*** Please note my new phone number below--(734) 887-7109 . ***

Jordan Lubetkin
Regional Communications Manager
National Wildlife Federation
Great Lakes Natural Resource Center
213 W. Liberty St., Suite 200
Ann Arbor, MI 48104-1398
www.nwf.org
www.healthylakes.org

Phone: (734) 887-7109
Cell: (734) 904-1589

Inspiring Americans to protect wildlife for our children's future.