E-M:/ Healing Our Waters Coalition Statement on Passage of Great Lakes Compact

With Passage of Great Lakes Compact, U.S. House ‘Protected one of America’s Natural Wonders’

Statement by Jeff Skelding, national campaign director, Healing Our Waters-Great Lakes Coalition, on passage of Great Lakes-St. Lawrence River Basin Water Resources Compact

WASHINGTON, D.C. (September 23, 2008)—“We applaud the U.S. House of Representatives, especially Reps. John Conyers (D-MI), Vern Ehlers (R-MI), Rahm Emanuel (D-IL), Steve LaTourette (R-OH) and Jim Oberstar (D-MN), for passing the Great Lakes-St. Lawrence River Basin Water Resources Compact.

“Following action by the Senate in July, the U.S. House protected one of America’s greatest natural wonders today. This protection will enhance our nation’s economy and safeguard a vital resource for 42 million people in the Great Lakes region who rely on the lakes for drinking water.

“With passage in both the House and Senate, we look forward to President Bush signing into law these historic protections for the Great Lakes.

“We urge the U.S. Congress and our next president to act with the same sense of urgency to restore this great American resource by confronting the serious threats of sewage contamination, invasive species and toxic pollution, because every day we wait, the problems get worse and more costly.”

The Healing Our Waters-Great Lakes Coalition consists of more than 100 zoos, aquariums, museums, and hunting, fishing and environmental organizations representing millions of people, whose common goal is to restore and protect the Great Lakes. The coalition is nonpartisan and does not endorse, support, or oppose candidates.

For Immediate Release:
September 23, 2008

Contact:
Jeff Skelding, Healing Our Waters-Great Lakes Coalition, (202) 797-6893, JSkelding@nwf.org

Jordan Lubetkin, Healing Our Waters-Great Lakes Coalition, (734) 904-1589, lubetkin@nwf.org

Jordan Lubetkin
Senior Regional Communications Manager
National Wildlife Federation - Great Lakes Office
213 West Liberty, Suite 200 | Ann Arbor, MI 48104

Phone: 734-887-7109 | Fax: 734-887-7199 | Cell: 734-904-1589

NWF's mission is to inspire Americans to protect wildlife for our children's future. www.nwf.org/news/

Working to restore the Great Lakes by offering solutions to sewage contamination, invasive species and other threats. www.healthylakes.org