Re: E-M:/ Dumpster cache yields eco-terror prosecutions

Very interesting story below. Also interesting is how some in our environmental community, ones who do NOT consider themselves extremists, defend such eco-terrorist actions as "sometimes necessary".

When Al Gore calls for "civil disobedience" to stop any new coal plant that does NOT include carbon sequestration, he does not call for eco-terrorism. There is a very big difference.

Something tells me that if you reach people through conversation, billboards, classrooms, public displays, fairs, gatherings, personal action and the dollar savings from being "eco friendly", you don't need bombs.

Do some of us feel that alone or powerless or scared that we need to bomb for "the environment" just like those who feel they should bomb "for God"?

When somebody bombs a church or mosque, nobody says: "maybe I should shop their religion and convert to it". We all kinda just think "those extremists give God a bad name".

Is eco-terrorism done because of a lack of success stories? Or is there a sense that NO compromise is acceptable? A sense there isn't enough progress happening fast enough? Or is it just paranoia, schizophrenia or other disorder masquerading as "authenticity"?

Most people don't aspire to be a religious extremist or an environmental extremist.

But most people do aspire to have more money, good jobs, longer lives, enjoyable surroundings, fewer wars - the things that prioritized and well communicated greening of energy, material, transit, consumption and waste accomplishes.

Some extremists feel that Al Gore is "too Republican" and "not green enough" because accepting ANY coal plant still contributes to mountain top removal. Never mind that other clean energy sources are being developed, that energy per-capita is going down and that some plants have to be retired and the new ones will use less coal while producing the same amount of electricity.

You win some, you lose some, but you do ok overall. "Pick your battles" as they say. But if you don't try the things that work peacefully because you don't believe they are good enough, you're not helping those of us who are actually reaching people and affecting change.

I don't think it is self deluding to surround one's self with success stories as well as problems.

I think it's self deluding to think that you don't have to do anything because of some success stories or that nothing can be done in spite of those success stories or that only extremism is the best way to change anything.

Saving an extreme amount of money from doing something that happens to be "good for the environment" is different. Making an extremely positive impact on the public that results in positive action is different. Let's try that first.

Mike Cohn

PS Timothy McVeigh and the eco-terrorists aren't the only things made in Michigan. Michigan also produces some extremely good magazines like Environmental Design and Construction - free if you're in the trades. It's got lots of ads showing great green products, terrific articles about success stories, etc. Not as stylish as Dwell or as "hands on" as Home Power, EDC is a good industry magazine - the behind the scenes of green. All of the above magazines plus traveling to other places that do more than Michigan, www.calcars.org www.environmentalleader.com and lists like this one are part of the success stories I surround myself with to keep my extremism at bay.