E-M:/ 10/22 Special Presentation: Richard Louv @ MSU

From: Donahue, Kathy  donahueK@clinton-county.org
Sent: Friday, September 26, 2008 12:10 PM
To: Clore, Cara
Subject: environ-mich

Currently there is a big push on in environmental education circles for the “No Child Left Inside” legislation that would provide federal funding for environmental education that is currently getting squeezed out due to the “No Child Left Behind” (NCLB) program. Schools more and more are teaching to the testing requirements of the NCLB leaving little time for the sensory environmental education experiences that are so necessary to the development of a heart-mind connection to the natural world. Without this connection, the next generation will not develop the necessary skills and environmental values to sustain environmental friendly behaviors to improve and conserve the Earth’s resources.

Michigan is very fortunate to have the opportunity to hear the author and strong proponent of this movement, Richard Louv (author of “Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children from Nature Deficit Disorder”), speak at the MSU. Louv’s work has launched a growing movement to reconnect children with nature. Discover how unstructured play outdoors has a positive impact on healthy child development, creativity, and cognitive functioning while improving health risks such as ADHD, child obesity, and stress. Mr. Louv presents an exciting new body of scientific evidence and offers practical suggestions for parents, teachers, urban planners, and anyone concerned about the future of our children and our environment. Join us on October 22 for this exciting kick-off event as we continue to move forward with Michigan’s No Child Left Inside movement.

Wednesday, October 22

7:30 pm

Michigan State University, MSU Concert Auditorium (Farm Lane at Auditorium Road)

Admission FREE with ticket.

Tickets available at the Wharton Center box office or contact: lpanich@naturecenter.org (269) 381-1574 ext. 38

Support for this event is being provided by the W.K. Kellogg Foundation

Kathy Donahue (see contact information below) also has a few tickets available.

This is such a fundamentally important issue that you may want to indicate your support for this legislation or even consider becoming a member of the No Child Left Inside Coalition itself.

 (http://www.cbf.org/site/PageServer?pagename=act_sub_actioncenter_federal_NCLB).

Kathleen Donahue

Environmental Educator

Department of Waste Management

Clinton County

1307 East Townsend Road, Suite #102

St. Johns, MI  48879 (USA)

Phone: (989) 224-5177 Fax (989) 224-5102

E-mail to: donahuek@clinton-county.org

This message is the property of Clinton County and falls under the rules and regulations of the Board of Commissioners Internet Policy Act.