E-M:/ "Earth Knows My Name" author tomorrow in Dearborn

Enviro-Mich message from mckennab@umd.umich.edu

Ecologist/author Patricia Klindienst is speaking at the University of Michigan-Dearborn tomorrow evening (CASL room 1030 at 6 PM) as part of a national book tour.

Her first book, The Earth Knows My Name was the 2007 winner of the American Book Award, and tells the stories of fifteen ethnic Americans [including many Native Americans] who transmit their cultural heritage through their gardens. "Praised by readers as diverse as Jane Goodall and Barry Lopez, Klindienst's eloquent and passionate rendering of the voices of ethnic peoples has been called an "original and exemplary kind of cultural study" by Geoffrey Hartman, Sterling Professor Emeritus of English and Comparative Literature. . .Hartman characterizes her book as essential reading for anyone seriously interested in the growing reality that an ancient ecological relationship, imaginative and religious in its intensity, is slipping away."

full:
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~ceah/klindienst.htm

I cannot wait to see her and read her book. I'm sending all my students. Has anyone read it?

Brian McKenna

=============================================================ENVIRO-MICH: Internet List and Forum for Michigan Environmental and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen Action. Archives at http://www.great-lakes.net/lists/enviro-mich/