E-M:/ Reservation deadline extended - Earthworks Urban Farm Harvest Dinner

Please join us for our first ever Harvest Dinner on Wednesday, October 29th to celebrate the end of the growing season at Earthworks Urban Farm and the local food community in SE Michigan.  Reservations due by Friday, October 24th.

4:30pm to 6 pm - All are welcome to join a conversation with Ron Doetch of the Milwaukee Urban Agriculture Network.

5 pm to 6 pm- A social hour in the garden with light appetizers and garden tours given by members of Earthworks' Youth Farm Stand program.

6 pm to 8 pm - Dinner of local SE Michigan meats, vegetables, cheese and fruits prepared by Chef Alison Costello with special guest Malik Yakini, chair of the Detroit Black Community Food Security Network.  Guests are invited to bring a homemade dessert for our potluck dessert table.

Tickets are $10 - $100 (sliding scale). We invite you to sponsor a ticket, for $25, for those in our community who would otherwise be unable to attend.

The event will be hosted at Gleaners Food Bank, a longtime partner of the Capuchin Soup Kitchen, 2131 Beaufait, Detroit, MI 48207.

Dress is casual.

More information is available on our website at www.cskdetroit.org/earthworks or by calling Lisa at 313-579-2100 ext 204.

More about Earthworks: Earthworks Urban Farm is a program of the Capuchin Soup Kitchen, located in Detroit, MI.
Because so many Detroit families have been burdened with chronic poverty, many of the people served at the Soup Kitchen's facilities are families who have been in need for several decades. Addressing the roots of food system injustice is a crucial part of empowering our guests and neighbors to take action against poverty and hunger. We believe that a working farm is an ideal setting for modeling a socially just response to hunger.  We grow a wide variety of vegetables and berries, keep an apiary to promote pollination, and maintain a series of compost piles (fed with scraps from the soup kitchen and other area restaurants).  The majority of the food we grow is incorporated into meals at the soup kitchen - truly local sourcing!  In our greenhouse, we grow transplants for distribution to Detroit urban gardeners in participation with the Garden Resource Program.  Our staff tend the fields, coordinate two youth programs for neighborhood kids, manage the compost piles, coordinate with guests of the soup kitchen (who have access to garden plots for their own use), host monthly food justice dialogues with our community, and coordinate volunteers.  Our work would not be possible without the help of volunteers who contribute labor each Wednesday and Saturday morning, and weekday evenings (with our youth programs).  We look forward to continuing to increase the meaningful involvement of our immediate neighborhood and guests of the soup kitchen, which we recognize as crucial in progressing to a food just city.