E-M:/ Fall in East Lansing

As I look around my East Lansing neighborhood and
surrounding areas in central Michigan, many if not most
of the maple trees still have a predominance of dark green.

I've been in this area since 1972, and for an October 24th
this predominance of green in the most maples
at this late date seems unusual to me for our part of the
state.

Are there any tree experts on the list who can explain such
biological phenomenon?    Or is my impression that this is
unusual for this time of fall mistaken?

657 Spartan Avenue,  East Lansing, MI  48823
(517) 332-6971; ajs@sagady.com