Re: E-M:/ local food - sources & resources, Eat Well Guide

Anyone living in West Michigan can e-mail me for free copies of West Michigan FRESH Guide to Local Food, our fourth edition published about a month ago. It includes Kalamazoo area through the assistance of our partner FairFood Matters. One advantage over the eatwellguide is that there's a lot more information, so you can determine if it sounds like somewhere you'd like to visit or call (although some of that is reflected on eatwellguide by their categories). Just judging at a glance, we also seem to have a lot more entries - they increased by anywhere from 25 to 50% this year!

An advantage over localharvest.org, also a decent place to get information, is that it's a lot more accurate. (Lots of mistakes there!) Another advantage overall is you can take it with you if you're riding around trying to find a farmstand, and it does have a lot of additional info about our programs, partners, etc.

Our web site currently has the hiccups, but when it gets better the guide will be on there in both a PDF and a searchable edition (I hope - we're working on it). The address is www.foodshed.net.

We also have the West Michigan Co-op, an on-line ordering system. Although right now the only pick-up spot is in Grand Rapids, people from nearby cities have formed mini-buying-clubs where one member comes in and picks up for everyone. The Co-op board has plans to expand the pick-up sites but that's something for the future.

For Northern Michigan,the Michigan Land Use Institute publishes Taste the Local Difference. I believe their web site address is searchable.

I always tell people from around the state to whom I give West Michigan FRESH when I'm presenting that they should encourage some local entity, even their counties, to publish something similar, because people love it.

Cynthia Price
Greater Grand Rapids Food Systems Council