Re: E-M:/ Fall in East Lansing

I wonder if they may not be genetically tied into our local seasons.
Bob Morningstar

Bob,
There is some newer science showing up that might be the case.
One example is with deer and the timing of the fall rut.  Deer genetics have been transferred all over the country with the attempt to bring bigger bucks and deer hunting opportunities to the Southern states and elsewhere.  The earlier rut theories were thought to be tied to light and moon phases with stronger effects north than south.  Now different rutting peaks are showing up everywhere including just a few miles apart.  As deer were transferred from their long-term genetic ranges they are retaining their old genetic rutting patterns in the new locations rather than adapting to the light phases immediately.  As plants and animals are being transferred outside their historic ranges it may take several generations for the genetics to adapt.