RE: E-M:/ Lone Tree Council Press Release

Folks:

While I have no interest in defending failed efforts to stop or clean up pollution anywhere in Michigan, I would suggest that we need to not immediately blame this DEQ for those problems, even if there is a lot more that can be done.  The DEQ’s General Fund revenues were put onto a death spiral by John Engler, Russ Harding and an anti-environmental legislature years ago, and that spiral continues:

-          the DEQ has lost 75% of its annual General Fund appropriation since 2002.

-          In addition, with the unwillingness of the Legislature to take up a proposed bond issue for this year that would put funding into clean up of contaminated sites among other things, the DEQ’s funding through dedicated funds for these kinds of activities is on a fast decline.

-          Lastly, many of the fees currently charged for permits of various sorts are set to expire within the next few years as well.

That doesn’t excuse failures to protect and clean up, and as those of you who read my rants will know I expect this agency to do its job.  But I am deeply and increasingly concerned that the anti-enviros have done their best to convince legislators and the public that the DEQ isn’t worth funding, or supporting -- their motives are clear -- they want to gut the agency even more than the last decade has seen.

I urge specific complaints about DEQ’s activities to be spelled out, pointed at the agency and pressure put on them to respond -- this is something we have been doing on the CAFO issues, for example, for almost a decade and result has been to see improvements even without funds.  But broad swipes at the agency don’t help, and feed into the goals of those who want to get away with not following environmental laws --

Sorry for the lecture, but I fear unintentionally bolstering the intentional assault on the DEQ that has been carried for a decade or more -- if we don’t have a functioning DEQ, we might as well all pack it in now and write off our air, water, land, and communities.

Anne Woiwode, State Director

Sierra Club Michigan Chapter

(517) 484-2372